How-To: Love Second-Day Hair
You washed. You styled. You may have even braided, teased, flat-ironed or piled. But after a night out and the hard-won sleep that followed, that foxy ‘do is sporting a serious hair hangover.
Instead of washing and styling anew, we asked hair experts Ashley Smith and Margaret Lippert of Oxenrose Salon for a quick and easy second-day hair solution to get our slept-on locks back in business in no time.
Their advice: work hair into a soft, messy bun. All you need is your hands and five large bobby pins.
1. Start by gently smoothing your hair into place with your fingers, unless you’re going for a rough-and-tumble look. In that case, leave it messy. Keeping in mind where your part falls, divide hair into two sections, one starting behind the ears and the other from the ears forward toward the face
2. Gather the back section into a loose ponytail. Position it high, low or off to the side. The base of the ponytail will be where your tousled bun will sit. If you have thick or heavy hair, use an elastic band to secure your ponytail.
3. Twist the ponytail section from root to end, then wrap around the base to create a messy bun.
4. Insert three of your jumbo bobby pins into the hair in a crisscross pattern. For a secure bun, the key is making sure the pins connect the hair in the bun to the hair behind it.
5. Working with the front section, gently pull some of the hair toward the back section and secure with the remaining two jumbo bobby pins, smaller pins or a hair
accessory. Have fun with this part. Don't be afraid to add a braid or twist to customize your ‘do. Finish the style with a polishing aid such as the Bumble and Bumble Brilliantine for shine and soft texture.