Top Looks at the Vintage Fashion Expo and Where to Get Them
This weekend, the Vintage Fashion Expo - the largest of its kind in the US - came to the Concourse Exhibition Center in SF. Naturally, we got dolled up in our favorite ensembles inspired from eras past and headed over to scour the seemingly endless racks for the best vintage pieces that are on-trend for spring. Here, dear readers, are our top seven finds:
1. Perforated Boots: One of the hottest footwear trends this spring is caged and perforated shoes. Freshen up what’s in your closet with these 1970s suede boots, which are ideal (not to mention well-ventilated!) for pairing with your floral dresses and skirts. Find similar styles at Wasteland.
2. Structured Blazer: If you’re intrepid about the return of the bold shoulder, try this vintage Vivienne Westwood blazer in a bold coral hue. Find at Decades of Fashion on Haight St.
3. Pastel: Pastels are back in a big way, so pick up a slip in every shade to freshen up your blouses, skirts and dresses. Find similar styles at Held Over on Haight St.
4. Florals: Pair feminine florals such as this cheery printed blouse with a black body-con skirt or leather jacket to add an edge to your ensemble. Find styles similar to this Ungaro piece at La Rosa Vintage.
5. Boyfriend Blazer: This oversize ivory blazer looks a courant for spring when dressed up with a silhouette-skimming dress or dressed down with a tank and loose-fitting shorts. Find similar styles at Torso in Union Square.
6. Statement Shoes: These two-toned booties are perfect for adding inventive flair to your wardrobe. They’re especially chic worn with flowy dresses and cropped pants. Find similar styles at The Painted Bird.
7. Gold Chains: While these necklaces have been spotted everywhere from the runways of Paris to Forever 21, buying vintage is a great way to find a unique and budget-friendly piece. Find similar pieces at Mission Thrift (2330 Mission St, between 19th and 20th st.) or the Alameda Flea Market.
Check out these places for even more vintage gems:
The Alameda Point Antiques and Collectibles Faire- every first Sunday of the month
Alemany Flea Market- every Wednesday and Sunday
The Vintage Jewelry Show in Sausalito- May 16-17
Art Deco and Modernism sales- Weekend By-the-Bay: June 6-7, “Deco The Halls”: Dec. 5-6
The Marin County Antique Show- Aug. 22-23
Last but not least, two of our favorite vendors from the Vintage Fashion Expo- Donnaland.net and wearitagainsamvintage.com
- Sidewalk Chic: Hints of Spring on the Embarcadero
- Scoping Fall Fashion at San Francisco's Best Vintage Stores
- SF Street Style: Rockabilly Sweet at Bettie Page in the Haight
- Where to Shop this Weekend: Chaiken, Yummie Tummie, Vintage Fashion Expo
- Put on your Shopping Shoes: White Elephant Sale and Alameda this Weekend