Where to Shop This Weekend: Home Swede Home, Given, Academy of Friends Silent Auction
We may be preoccupied prepping our inner fashion critics for Sunday’s red carpet drama, but hardly too busy to shop. Here are three places to check out this weekend:
Start in the Financial District, where local purveyors of modern Scandinavian style Zinc Details and Filippa K are joining forces to benefit The Scandinavian School and its Swedish language and culture programs. Created especially for the event, a temporary pop-up shop featuring accessories and textiles from Design House Stockholm will be on view in the store for the duration of the evening, as, of course, will items from Filippa K’s current collection. Ten percent of the evening’s sales will be donated to the school.
- What: Home Swede Home event
- Where: Filippa K San Francisco, 66 Kearny St., 415-951-0210
- When: Feb. 19, 6-9 p.m.
This weekend, modern design hounds will be no doubt be wooed to the Castro with the news of the annual sale going down at Given, whose address also happens to have once belonged to the famed camera shop owned by local legend and politician Harvey Milk. Along with home accessories, furniture and books on sale for 20 to 60 percent off, fashion fans will find the shop’s enviable inventory of jewelry, t-shirts, wallets and accessories marked down 50 percent.
- What: Given Annual Sale
- Where: 575 Castro St., 415-865-0353
- When: Feb. 20-22
Oscars-inspired fashion fun can be had on Sunday at the annual Academy of Friends gala and benefit celebrating the Academy Awards while raising support for local organizations helping those affected by HIV/AIDS. In addition to the fashions you’ll no doubt see strutting down the event’s red carpet, the gala silent auction presents ample opportunity to scoop up luxury items for a good cause. Announced yesterday, noteworthy wearables up for auction include ties from Assemblyman Mark Leno’s personal collection, a Ted Baker shopping experience worth $500 and jewelry by designer Judith Ripka.
- What: Academy of Friends Presents A Night of Superheroes, Villains & Divas
- Where: Fort Mason Festival Pavilion
- When: Feb. 22, starting at 5 p.m.
- Where to Shop this Weekend: Guy Bedarida at Saks, Appel and Frank and Clary Sage Organics
- Where to Shop this Weekend: Salvatore Ferragamo, Robindira Unsworth, Josephine & Debudda
- Where to Shop this Weekend: Martin + Osa, ShoeBiz and Noise Pop 'N Shop
- Where to Shop This Weekend: Goldenbleu Going Out of Business Sale, .meggie. and Lovesick
- Where to Shop this Weekend: 440 Brannan, The Mission and Temple