Arty Design Events: Bouquets to Art at the de Young and The Spring Art Tour
A couple of my favorite design-based happenings hit town this week. Both feature art and involve two things I'm crazy about: flowers and fine homes.
Bouquets to Art launched its almost week-long stay at the de Young museum with a gala last night. Although I missed the party for the first time in memory, I assure you I will be there at least once before the event is over. It involves top regional floral designers using blossoms, foliage and props to interpret artwork in the museum's collection. Some of the arrangements are quite literal in their recreations, others are thought-provoking in their vision and there are always a few that are just plain head-scratchers, but each one challenges you to look at paintings and sculpture you've seen many times with fresh eyes. Read more...
- The de Young Showcases Floral Design with Bouquets to Art 2013
- The de Young's Spanish-Themed 'Bouquets to Art' Looks Forward to Balenciaga Exhibit
- This Week's Hottest Events: Neil Young + Joanna Newsom, SF Ballet Nutcracker, and Bazaar Bizarre
- This Week's Hottest Events: Mega Sale at Carrots, Mortified Comedy, and Matter + Spirit at the de Young
- This Week's Hottest Events: Mary J. Blige, Lykke Li, and Ra Ra Riot