Each week, former sf.myopenbar.com editor Allie Pape brings you her picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF. This week: Jippidy, Butterfly, It's Tops, and other funny names for great deals. Have an event coming up? Want to share a tip? E-mail her.
1. Jippidy Happy Hour: No plans tonight? You might want to check out Jippidy's happy hour, taking place at new hotspot Sloane. Lotus vodka cocktails are $5 all night, and they'll be announcing limited runs of free drinks on their Twitter account throughout the evening. There's a silent auction for Mission restaurant gift certificates as well. (Thursday, November 12th, 5-8 pm, at Sloane, 1525 Mission St., SOMA.)
2. Burger and a Beer at Zare: Zare at Fly Trap is a swanky place, and such places typically rest outside of our purview. When they introduce a great deal, however, we get excited for the opportunity to get in the door without looking strange. So it is with Zare's new deal: $15 gets you a half-pound beef burger and any beer, glass of wine, or well cocktail. It might not be as cheap as In-N-Out and a Tecate tallboy, but that's what you pay for the rarefied air of Fine Dining. (Monday-Saturday, after 8:30 pm, at Zare at Fly Trap, 606 Folsom St., SOMA. At the bar only.)
3. Butterfly Late-Night Happy Hour: Butterfly, which is located in the desolate stretch of the Embarcadero where few but Alcatraz-bound tourists venture, is trying to appeal a little more to the locals. Its late-night weekend happy hour (yes, you read that correctly) offers pub-hoppers and club-goers $5 top-shelf cocktails, $3 beers, and $5 wines by the glass. They've also got discounts on bar bites like wagyu beef sliders. Spread your wings and save us cash, little butterfly. (Friday and Saturday, 10 pm-12 am, at Butterfly, Pier 33 at Bay St., Embarcadero.)
4. Bar Crudo Happy Hour: NOPA's purveyor of delicious raw fish has introduced a happy hour that undercuts their usual high prices, with $3 beer, $5 wine, $1 oysters, and $5 chowder. Considering the quality of their usual fare, those oysters should be very tasty, and we're fond of their well-curated beer selection. (Monday-Thursday, 5-6:30 pm, at Bar Crudo, 655 Divisadero St., NOPA/Western Addition.)
5. Anchor Steam at It's Tops: This recognizable beacon of 50s flair, which is familiar to anyone who's ever exited from the 101 onto Octavia, doesn't really open for dinner-- the doors part at 8 pm, the better to serve the late-night drinkers that are its bread and butter. But they have some good news for those of us who aren't yet hungry or haven't begun our benders: $2.50 Anchor Steam pints, served at prime drinking hours. It's tops, indeed. (Daily, 8-11 pm, at It's Tops, 1801 Market St., Upper Market.)