Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. A Tall, Cold Pint of NightLife: Ever wondered how beer makes it into the bottle? Join representatives of local brewing shop SF Brewcraft and breweries MateVeza and Bison at the Academy of Sciences' NightLife, where they'll discuss how beer is made over a few pints of their finest creations. Admission is $12, and includes full access to the museum. (Thursday, July 15, 6-10 pm, at California Academy of Sciences, 55 Music Concourse Dr., Golden Gate Park.)
2. VeeV Cocktail Hour at the Symphony: There's nothing like having a few cocktails before hearing some beautiful music, which is why the SF Symphony, VeeV Acai Spirit and Drink Me magazine are teaming up for a pre-party deal that's sure to pluck at your heartstrings. Purchase a ticket for next Thursday's performance of "my classic New World" at 50% off (use code DMNewWorld50 for discounted seats everywhere but Center Terrace and Side Box), then RSVP with the name of the ticket buyer, and you'll net an invite to an exclusive pre-concert party with three free VeeV cocktails to taste. (Thursday, July 22, cocktail hour 7-8 pm, concert 8-10 pm, at Davies Symphony Hall, 201 Van Ness Ave., Civic Center.)
3. Mijita Hour: Somewhat overshadowed by the big beer selection and bigger sign at space-sharing sister restaurant Public House, Mexican purveyor Mijita is fighting back with a new happy hour. Sip on a $5 margarita, and get free chips and salsa with any purchase. One caveat, though-- the deal isn't valid on game days, which might be best if you don't want to fend off crowds. (Daily except home game days, at Mijita, AT&T Park, 24 Willie Mays Plaza, SOMA.)
4. Stone Korean Happy Hour: Need a little spice after a day's work in the FiDi? Check out the new happy hour at Stone, where beer and wine are buy one get one free, and soju carafes are 30% off. Appetizers are discounted, too, making it easy to get a kimchi fix. (Monday-Friday, 5-7 pm, at Stone Korean Kitchen, Four Embarcadero Center, Financial District.)
5. Candybar Happy Hour: While it's oriented toward sweeter items, this NOPA spot isn't averse to replacing dinner with a few cocktails. Swing by in the early evening for $2 Pacifico, $3 champagne and sangria, and $4 champagne cocktails-- and maybe stay for dessert. (Daily, 6-8 pm, at Candybar, 1335 Fulton St., NOPA.)