Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Peruvian Independence Day at Cantina: We have to admit that we're not always up on the independence days of countries that aren't France, but a pair of pisco-oriented deals offered today is making us revise that position. At Cantina, happy hour will feature $1 pisco punches, $4 shots of Campo de Encanto pisco, and complimentary snacks. Stick around after it's over to sample the latest and greatest from an all-pisco bar menu. (Wednesday, July 28, 5-8 pm, at Cantina, 580 Sutter St., Tenderloin.)
2. Peruvian Independence Day at Pisco: Meanwhile, at a bar named for Peru's national spirit, the action continues with free pisco sours from 6 to 7 (they're a still-reasonable $6 after that). Next door, at sister restaurant Destino, all cocktails will be 2-for-1 from 5 to 7. Can Peru celebrate its independence more often? (Wednesday, July 28, all night, at Pisco Latin Lounge, 1817 Market St., Upper Market.)
3. Tequila Tasting Class with Joanne Weir: Ever wanted to pound tequila with a PBS chef? Now's your chance. For just $5, "Cooking Class" host Joanne Weir will guide you through blanco, anejo, reposado, and the making of Mexican 75's (because who needs gin when you have tequila?) Need sustenance? Joanne will also be distributing her famous handpies. (Thursday, July 29, 6-7 pm, at Omnivore Books on Food, 3885a Cesar Chavez St., Noe Valley.)
4. Mission Fever at El Rincon: The opening night of this new dance party features a mix of funk, house, disco, R&B, and cheap booze. After you pay the $5 cover, cans of PBR are two for $5 until midnight, and well drinks and shot specials are $5 all night. There's also a $2 taco bar if all that drinking and dancing makes you hungry. (Saturday, July 31, 10 pm-2 am, at El Rincon, 2700 16th St., Mission.)
5. Monday & Tuesday Wine Nights at Chez Papa Resto: Want to sample some high-class vino at a lower price point? Check out the new offerings on Mondays and Tuesdays at Chez Papa Resto in Mint Plaza, when selected wines by the glass will be offered at a discount. If you've got cash to spare, they'll also be offering some top-flight bottles at up to 55% off-- which is still more than $200 for many labels, but who's counting? (Mondays and Tuesdays, 5:30-10 pm, at Chez Papa Resto, 4 Mint Plaza, SOMA.)