Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. The Bold Italic's Haberdash: The folks at The Bold Italic are getting pretty good at hosting reasonably priced, engaging events with a soupcon of free booze. Their latest creation is the Haberdash week, focusing on men's fashion. Meet them tonight at the Burritt Room, where $15 buys access to a fashion show and Distillery No. 209 cocktails, or stop by Jack's San Francisco (Thursday) and Candystore Collective (Friday) for free beer and discounts on duds for dudes. (Wednesday, August 25, 7-9 pm, at the Burritt Room, 417 Stockton St., Union Square; Thursday, August 26, 6-8 pm, at Jack's San Francisco, 668 Post St., Union Square; Friday, August 27, 7-9 pm, at Candystore Collective, 3153 16th St., Mission.)
2. FEED Party at Marina Gap: Ever wanted to party inside a Gap store? Now you can! Simply RSVP to tonight's event, which celebrates the introduction of the FEED USA bag. Balboa Cafe will provide free drinks and bites, and for every FEED USA bag sold, Gap will donate $5 to children's nutrition and education in the good ol' US of A. Get there early, though: once capacity is reached, they'll start turning people away. (Wednesday, August 25, 7-9 pm, at Gap, 2040 Chestnut St., Marina.)
3. Gluten-Free Beer Tasting: Of the many indignities of celiac disease, life without sweet, sweet beer is almost certainly one of the worst. Luckily, the Jug Shop is coming to the rescue with a tasting of six gluten-free beers, all for $15. The event is sponsored by the Gluten-Free Gluttons, allowing those on the wheat-free path to network with their compatriots. Be sure to RSVP so they have enough suds for everyone. (Thursday, August 26, 6:30-8:30 pm, at The Jug Shop, 1590 Pacific St., Nob Hill.)
4. Meet Trumer's Brewer at Otis Lounge: Jeff Eaton, the brewer of Trumer Pils, is headed to Otis Lounge this Tuesday to pour a few pints and educate the public about the Berkeley-based brew. A pint will go for $3 at this special event, and guests are encouraged to ask Eaton questions about the brewing process, the history of the company, and where babies come from. (Tuesday, August 31, 6-9 pm, at Otis Lounge, 25 Maiden Lane, Union Square.)
5. Presidio Social Club Drink Deals: The majority of San Franciscans don't often venture to the manicured wilds of the Presidio, but one of the area's only restaurants is out to change that. Brunch at Presidio Social Club comes with the now-requisite bottomless mimosas ($12), but the real deal is the restaurant's 1/2 Full Tuesdays, which offer half-priced wine and beer. Maybe George Lucas is on to something. (Mimosas: Saturdays 10 am-2 pm; half-off drinks: Tuesdays 5-8 pm; at Presidio Social Club, 563 Ruger St., Presidio.)