Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Yelp's Holiday Hangover: Instead of throwing a single crazy holiday party, Yelp has decided to spread the wealth by throwing five. (We won't tell them that the holidays are over if you won't.) Each night will feature a different theme, from Casino Night to the Seven Deadly Sins, with free Widmer beer, Skyy vodka, and wine tastings. Head over to their site to choose your poison (you only get to attend one), and try to keep the "Hangover" part as fictional as the "Holiday" one. (Sunday, January 9-Thursday, January 13, 8-10 pm, at Payne Mansion, 1409 Sutter St., Pacific Heights.)
2. Monday Happy Hour Comedy: It's hard readjusting to the daily grind after the thrill of the holidays. Luckily, Cafe Royale is here to help with their Monday Happy Hour Comedy, featuring cheap happy hour beer/wine/soju cocktails and free yuks (be sure to hit the tip jar on your way out, though). This month's batch of comedians includes several who tour nationally or have appeared on TV. (Monday, January 10, 7-9 pm, at Cafe Royale, 800 Post St., Tenderloin.)
3. Vino and Vinyasa: If you're looking to work off a few holiday sins (but still want to be rewarded with wine), head to the W Hotel. They'll be offering a gratis hour-long yoga class (BYO mat), followed by a tasting of wines from Long Meadow Ranch and mini-treatments provided by Bliss Spa. Lady heaven! Space is limited; RSVP on their Facebook page. (Tuesday, January 11, 6:30-8:30 pm, at W Hotel, 4th Floor Terrace, 181 3rd St., SOMA.)
4. Wednesday Wine Night: If you've been meaning to hit up Jardiniere but can't normally hack the pricey wine list, you're in luck-- each Wednesday, a select group of bottles will go for 50% off. They'll be featuring a different region every week (tonight's: Burgundy, both red and white). Dinner reservations aren't necessary-- you can sip over a snack or two in their lounge. One key FYI: the deal can't be combined with any others. (Wednesdays, 7:30-10 pm, at Jardiniere, 300 Grove St., Hayes Valley.)
5. Ma*Velous Drink Deal: While the new Market St. lounge Ma*Velous has earned 7x7's praise for its varied and high-quality coffee offerings, it wants locals to know that it also offers beer and wine for later in the day. Tell them that you saw their Yelp page, and they'll give you 20% off your alcohol purchase. Pair it with a cup of Tim Wendleboe, and you'll have a legal speedball on your hands. (Daily, at Ma*Velous, 1408 Market St., Civic Center.)