Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Divisadero Art Walk: The galleries and shops of Divis are presenting new work from local artists on Thursday night, and since they know you'll get thirsty, local bars and restaurants are offering cheap drinks along the way. Grab $3 pints and tacos at the Little Chihuahua (5-11 pm), enjoy an extended happy hour at Candybar (6-10 pm), or sip $2 sangria at BlueJay Cafe (5:30-10 pm). Tsunami and Madrone Art Bar will also have drink specials, and happy hour at the Page will go until 10. (Thursday, April 14, 5-11 pm, Divisadero St. between Haight and Turk.)
2. Pre-Tax-Day Margaritas at Andalu: So you're doing your taxes last-minute and need a drink to relax, or you've finished and need a cheap way to celebrate-- either way, Andalu's got you covered. They'll be serving up $5 margaritas all day on Thursday, and during happy hour on Friday. To paraphrase Homer Simpson, there is truly no crisis that tequila cannot solve or create. (Thursday, April 14, 5:30-10 pm, and Friday, April 15, 5:30-7 pm, at Andalu, 3198 16th St., Mission.)
3. Tax Day Specials at McCormick and Kuleto's: Since Tax Day is technically on the 18th and not the 15th this year (thanks, obscure D.C. holiday!), McCormick and Kuleto's is doubling up on its annual IRS-driven specials. Friday will have a happy hour with $5.40 drinks, while on Monday, you can eat lunch or dinner at the bar for $10.40 and drink for $5.40 once again. They'll also give you a $10.40 gift certificate at either event for a future visit, by which point the actual 1040 will hopefully be just a horrible memory. (Friday, April 15, 3-6 pm, and Monday, April 18, 11:30 am-10 pm).
4. Eve Happy Hour: The SOMA lounge Eve is trying to drum up some more happy hour business, and they're offering great deals: $3 draft beers, $4 well drinks, and $2 off anything else they serve (we like the My Misty cocktail). Plus, if you order drinks, they'll give you a free plate of meat and cheese to snack on-- and the proceedings go pretty late, until 8. This Friday, they'll also have a Glenlivet scotch tasting: you can sample the 12-, 15-, and 18-year scotches for $10. (Monday-Friday, 5-8 pm, at Eve, 575 Howard St., SOMA.)
5. Anchor & Hope Meets Oysters & Stout: It may surprise you to learn that oysters and stout beer go pretty nicely together-- there's even an English tradition of brewing stouts with oyster shells and juice in the kettle. If you're ready to take the plunge, Anchor & Hope is offering a half-dozen oysters (their choice) and a pint of the good stuff for just $10. You'll have to be crafty, though: the deal is only on Wednesdays and only for an hour and 20 minutes. The things we do for cheap bivalves... (Wednesdays, 4:40-6 pm, at Anchor & Hope, 83 Minna St., SOMA.)