Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Trumer Earth Day Celebration: Want to make a difference this Earth Day? Head out to the Trumer brewery to participate in a neighborhood clean-up, and you'll be rewarded with free beer, a VIP tour of the facilities, a T-shirt, and snacks from Seoul on Wheels. Volunteering: it's the gift that keeps on giving. Check out their Facebook event page for more details. (Saturday, April 23rd, clean-up 12-2 pm, party 2-5 pm, at Trumer Brauerei, 1404 4th St., Berkeley.)
2. Domaine de Canton Cocktail Competition: The ginger liqueur Domaine de Canton is holding a bartending contest, with representatives of Smuggler's Cove, Michael Mina, Elixir, The Slanted Door, and more competing for the regional title (and a chance at the national crown). Attendees get complimentary appetizers and samples of the competitors' cocktails. RSVP here. (Monday, April 25th, 9 pm, at Azul, 1 Tillman Place, Union Square.)
3. Cafe des Amis Happy Hour: The swanky Cow Hollow brasserie is bringing its hefty prices down to earth for the plebes at a new happy hour. Feast on $1 oysters while you sip a $2 Trumer, $5 Moscow Mule, or $5 glass of pinot blanc. If you decide to play hooky on a nice day, their sidewalk tables make a great place to enjoy the spread. (Monday-Friday, 3-6 pm, at Cafe des Amis, 2000 Union St., Cow Hollow.)
4. Eastside West Happy Hour: This Cow Hollow standby has recently undergone a renovation of both its interior and its menu, with the latter shifting to a focus on small plates. You can sample the new fare on the cheap at their happy hour, where dishes like smoked salmon bruschetta, nachos, fried calamari, and housemade pigs in a blanket run $4-6. Wash it down with a $3 Anchor Steam or Stella, a $4 glass of wine, or a $5 mojito. (Tuesday-Friday, 4-7 pm, at Eastside West, 3154 Fillmore St., Cow Hollow.)
5. Local Kitchen Happy Hour: This SOMA spot recently got its liquor license, and to celebrate, they're going hard in the paint on happy hour. They've already got $5 glasses of wine and $3 beers, plus $1 oysters on Fridays and Saturdays; inquire within to get more details on cocktail and bar-menu price cuts. Saturday happy hour is a beautiful thing. (Tuesday-Saturday, 5-7 pm, at Local Kitchen, 330 1st St., SOMA.)