Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Andalu's 10th Anniversary: Andalu, the Mission small-plates spot, has been in business for a decade, and they're celebrating by giving every diner a free glass of Prosecco and gratis donut holes on their birthday this coming Tuesday. Can't make the big day? They'll also have a $34.95 wine-pairing dinner (normally $55) from this coming Sunday through the following Friday. (Tuesday, September 27, 5:30-9:30 pm, at Andalu, 3198 16th St., Mission.)
2. Initiative Process Discussion: A century ago, California voters gave themselves a bigger piece of the political pie by instituting recalls, referendums, and initiatives; these days, however, the issues that make it to a vote are dominated by money and special interests. Can the people take back the initiative process? This discussion aims to find out. But regardless of whether or not our political situation is salvageable, there's free wine and beer afterwards. Golden State, indeed! RSVP here. (Wednesday, September 22, 7-8:30 pm, at Fort Mason, Golden Gate Room, Building A, Marina.)
3. La Mar's Anniversary: La Mar Cebicheria has provided the Embarcadero with Peruvian fare for three years, and in honor of their birthday, they're providing all diners with a free pisco sour shot when they purchase a meal. Diners can order from a revised menu, which has been retooled to emphasize small plates at lower price points. A live criolla band will play, too. (Sunday, September 25, lunch 12-2:30 pm, dinner 5:30-10 pm, at La Mar Cebicheria, Pier 1.5, Embarcadero.)
4. Bicycle Film Festival: As seasoned barflies, we know that bicyclists like their beer, and the Bicycle Film Festival is doing its best to do right by them. On Friday, the bicycle posse will convene for cheap beer at the Cycle Club in the Marina, then pedal to the Mission for a screening of Racing Towards Red Hook. Sunday brings a kick-back event at Rickshaw Bagworks, with free BBQ and beer. Saddle up and get ready to party-- there's more info here. (Biking and movies: Friday, September 23, 6:30 pm, at Cycle Club, 2198 Filbert St., Marina. BBQ: Sunday, September 25, 12-5 pm, at Rickshaw Bagworks, 904 22nd St., Dogpatch.)
5. Bottomless Mimosas at Sweet Jo's: Joanna Karlinsky, of Meetinghouse biscuit fame, has taken the Sunday-morning brunch spot at pop-up space The Corner, and she's doling out $7 bottomless mimosas to pair with her vegan chili, eggs Benedict, cheddar grits, and famed biscuits. With mimosas this cheap, you'll be able to consume the whole menu and still walk out flush. (Sundays, 10:30 am-2:30 pm, at The Corner, 2199 Mission St., Mission.)