Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Flavorpill SF Happy Hour: Amstel Light is teaming up with Flavorpill SF to offer an evening of gratis suds and dancing with DJ Ron Elder at the Elbo Room. The event will also benefit Root Division, which subsidizes artists' studios in exchange for teaching art to children and adults. RSVP here to get in, and be sure to get there early; they've made it very clear that an RSVP doesn't necessarily guarantee admission, and to paraphrase the ads, free beer can be a pretty Dam big draw. (Thursday, October 27, 6-8 pm, at Elbo Room, 647 Valencia St., Mission.)
2. Monsters of Rock at Speakeasy: Speakeasy is celebrating Halloween by throwing another of their famed brewery parties, which always boast plenty of $3 drafts and inexpensive food. They'll have a costume contest and live music by appropriately-named bands like Midnight Chaser, Hell Ship, and Fear the Fiasco. (Friday, October 28, 4-9 pm, at Speakeasy Ales & Lagers, 1195 Evans Ave., Bayview/Hunter's Point.)
3. Czech-Mate Block Party at Cafe Prague: October 28th is Independent Czechoslovak State Day, which celebrates Czechoslovakia's 93rd year as a sovereign nation. Such an event calls for plenty of delicious Czech beer, and Cafe Prague is obliging with $4.50 half-liters and $8 liters of Prague's finest, along with $6 sauerkraut-topped sausages. Live German musicians will play outdoors, and new neighbor Hidden Vine Wine Bar will also get into the spirit. (Friday, October 28, 4-8 pm, at Cafe Prague, 424 Merchant St., Financial District.)
4. Bin 38's Fourth Anniversary: Marina wine bar Bin 38 is turning four tonight, which calls for plenty of $4 wine, bubbly, craft beer, and bar bites all evening long. Order an entree or a bottle of wine, and they'll put your name in a drawing for prizes like a gift certificate or a magnum of Swanson Cabernet. Plan on making a reservation if you're eating, but for those who just plan to sip and nosh, the back patio will be open. More info is here. (Wednesday, October 26, 5-11:30 pm, at Bin 38, 3232 Scott St., Marina.)
5. A Nightmare on Sixth Street: If your plans for Halloween Saturday aren't firmed up yet, swing by this dance party at Club Six for three rooms of rock, hip-hop, and reggae DJs. Show up for the pre-party in costume, and you'll get two-for-one drinks, free food from Papalote, giveaways, and the chance to participate in the costume contest. Admission is free before 10 if you RSVP here; with no RSVP, it's $10 before 10 and $15 after. (Saturday, October 29, pre-party 9-10:30 pm, party 10:30 pm-2 am, at Club Six, 60 Sixth St., SOMA.)