Ask a Trainer: How Do I Teach My Dog to Leave Items Alone?
Welcome to our new, weekly 'Ask a Trainer from the SF SPCA' feature on 7x7.com. They'll help you get your dog or cat into shape and ready for the world. Ask your own questions in the comments!
Q: My dog always seems to get into things he's not supposed to when we are out on a walk. How do I teach her to "leave it"?
A: Teach your dog "Leave it" in 60 seconds.
· Start with 2 cookies, one in each hand
· Say "Leave it," and present a hand with the cookies enclosed in it
· Allow your dog to sniff, paw, lick at your hand with the cookie A
· The moment your dog does not try to make contact, reward with cookie B from you other hand
· Gradually, make it harder by opening the hand with cookie A
· If your does does go for the cookie, close your hand and repeat
Watch the video tutorial: