Secret Recipe: Smoky Tomato Soup from The American Grilled Cheese Kitchen
7x7 asks the city's chefs for the recipes to their most loved cocktails, bar snacks, starters, mains, and desserts. If there's a dish you can't stop thinking about and want to make at home, email email@example.com. Your wish may end up on the blog, along with the actual recipe from the chef.
Dip your favorite pressed sandwich (just like mom used to make) in a silky tomato soup like the lunch crowd at The American Grilled Cheese Kitchen in SoMa do. It's a simple soup, something you can pull together in fewer than 30 minutes, but it packs a lot of punch with smoky spices.
3 ounces unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground piment d'Espelette
1/2 teaspoon ground pimentón de la Vera dulce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
2 boxes (26 ounces each) Pomi brand strained tomatoes
6 cups vegetable broth
crème fraiche, for garnish
1. To make a roux, melt butter in a saucepot, stir in flour, and cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add spices, vinegar, and salt, and blend.
3. Add strained tomatoes and broth, and bring them to a boil for 3 minutes, until thickened, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
4. Taste to adjust salt and spices. Finish with a dollup of crème fraiche and serve.
- Secret Recipe: Truffled Gruyere Cheese Fondue from 25 Lusk
- Bay Area Power Couples: American Grilled Cheese Kitchen's Nate Pollak & Heidi Gibson
- Grilled Cheese Sandwiches: Still Hot
- Public Bikes 1 Year Anniversary Party in South Park: Raffles, Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, Bike Races & More
- Secret Recipe: Mijita's Albondigas Soup