Secret Recipe: Pistachio Meatballs from Zare at Fly Trap
7x7 asks the city's chefs for the recipes to their most loved cocktails, bar snacks, starters, mains, and desserts. If there's a dish you can't stop thinking about and want to make at home, email email@example.com. Your wish may end up on the blog, along with the actual recipe from the chef.
Makes 5 servings
2 pounds ground beef
2 tablespoon harissa, divided
1 large onion, finely pureed
1 cup finely chopped pistachios, plus extra for garnish
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup lime juice
1/2 cup chopped tarragon
1/4 cup chopped rosemary
1/2 cup chopped summer savory
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups pomegranate concentrate
1 cup honey
1 cup red wine, preferably shiraz or zinfandel
1 teaspoon chili flakes
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
Pomegranate seeds for garnish
1. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place eggs and meat in a large bowl and incorporate. In another bowl, mix half of the harissa, onion, pistachios, bread crumbs, lime juice, tarragon, rosemary, savory, parsley, cumin, and salt and pepper. Incorporate this into the meat mixture by kneading well with your hands for 2 minutes.
3. Form meat mixture into 15 balls and place on baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes, rotating halfway through the cooking time.
4. As the meatballs cook, make the glaze by mixing the remaining harissa, pomegranate concentrate, honey, wine, and chili flakes in a saucepot over high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring. Reduce heat and simmer until glaze is reduced by half. Add the mustard.
5. In a frying pan with a deep lip, place one-third of the sauce. Add five meatballs, and toss with the glaze for 2 minutes over medium heat. Continue incorporating glaze with remaining meatballs in this fashion until all 15 meatballs are glazed. Place on a serving dish, garnish with finely chopped pistachios and pomegranate seeds, and serve.EndFragment