7x7 asks the city's chefs for the recipes to their most loved cocktails, bar snacks, starters, mains, and desserts. If there's a dish you can't stop thinking about and want to make at home, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Your wish may end up on the blog, along with the actual recipe from the chef.
The smashed peas have been a smash hit at Presidio Social Club since its opening in 2006—they made the mistake of taking it off the menu one winter but customers demanded its return—and it now stands as a signature item. Best of all, the preparation is a cinch year round. Serve it as an app, or dollop on crostinis for an easy hors d'oeuvre.
1 cup fresh mint leaves
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound frozen organic peas, thoroughly defrosted
2 shallots, minced
1/4 cup yellow onions minced
1 stick butter
1 clove garlic, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Blend mint leaves with olive oil.
2. Heat mixture in a pan until oil becomes bright green.
3. Quickly strain and chill mint oil in refrigerator.
1. Melt butter over medium heat.
2. Add onions, shallots, garlic, salt, and pepper.
3. Cook over medium heat until onions are tender and translucent.
4. Add peas and mix.
5. Remove from heat and put in food processor.
6. Pulse a few times until peas are smashed (but not pureed).
7. Season with salt, pepper, and a few drops of mint oil to taste.