Who better than to provide a quick and easy way to serve up some Dungeness? Chef August Schuchman delivers with one of the four ways they serve the crustacean at Woodhouse Fish Co.
Garlic White Wine Dungeness Crab
Serves 1 as an entrée, 4 as an appetizer
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
8 ounces dry white wine (preferably Sauvignon blanc)
1 2-pound crab steamed, cleaned, and cracked (cut each leg with the body meat attached)
4 ounces vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons whole butter
1 lemon, sliced into 1/8-inch rounds
2-3 basil leaves with stems attached
1. Sautée the garlic in the oil in medium pan on medium high heat until fragrant.
2. Deglaze with white wine.
3. Add vegetable stock when the alcohol has cooked off.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Place the crab legs in pan and rest lemon slices and basil on top of them.
6. Place butter in the broth and cover with a lid.
7. Cook at a simmer for 4 minutes. The crab should be hot and the butter should be incorporated in to the sauce.
8. Remove the crab legs and place them in a bowl.
9. Stir the basil and lemon into the broth.
10. Check for seasoning and pour the broth over the legs.
11. Enjoy as is, or with sourdough to dip in the broth.