Last night, local designer and Project Runway season 8 star, Christopher Collins, revealed his Fall 2012 collection to an exclusive crowd at his Nob Hill boutique (1112 Sutter St.). We put together our favorite looks and spoke with the gorgeous young designer about his new line, SF favorites, and his newfound love for Rihanna.
Seven Questions for Christopher Collins
1. What inspired your new collection?
Christopher Collins: My Fall '12 collection was inspired by the concept of crossing two cultures. I was drawn to Mid-western American heritage - roots, texture, and open spaces, mixed with a 5th Avenue, New York-chic attitude. Therefore, the lines are free and natural with crisp details and tailoring.
2. Where do you shop in SF?
CC: I'm pretty obsessed with All Saints and the John Varvatos store. However, in a pinch, I must say, Zara has saved the day in 911 fashion emergencies.
3. What's your drink of choice?
CC: Tallisker scotch, on the rocks, with a twist!
4. What's on your holiday wish list?
CC: A Kindle! I'm old school and love to hold a book, however, I travel a lot and space is limited...so I'm ready to upgrade to the 21st century.
5. What was your single greatest take away from your time on Project Runway?
CC: At first it was a shock, but now I love that I can go anywhere and connect with people over fashion and my work. I found people relate to the experience of creation and creativity. Talking ot them about it inspires me.
6. What's your favorite song to shake it to?
CC: Well, it's not so much my dance experience, but this summer while in Fire Island, I watched a drag queen sing Rihanna's "We Found Love" and it changed my impression of expressive dance -- forever. Now, whenever I hear it I can't hold back from tapping my foot (probably shaking my shoulders, too), and singing along.
7. What's your SF Top 5?
CC: 1. I love Epi Center Med Spa on Sutter St. I go in looking tired and come out looking new.
2. I can never get enough of the one-and-only Joy Bianchi and her Helpers House of Couture on Fulton St. When I need inspiration that's the first place I go.
3. My favorite restaurant is a little Italian mom/pop in Hayes Valley called Il Borgo.
4. The peak of Sutro Park at the end of Geary St. -- I let my dog run free and can look out at the ocean forever.
5. The Farmers Market at the Ferry Building on Saturdays! It's the best ever!
Lily Ko (lily7x7 @gmail.com) studied fashion design and merchandising at Central Saint Martins and the Academy of Art University. In addition to writing for 7x7, Lily is on the creative team at Pottery Barn, and works as a freelance stylist, writer, and designer.