Sure, an orange at the toe of the stocking is still a nice touch, but here are seven other goodies to slip in the sock.
1. At Christopher Elbow’s Hot Chocolate Lounge in Hayes Valley, you can enjoy a rich mug of any number of his signature drinking chocolate—treat yourself, then buy a tin and treat a friend. $16, available at the shop (401 Hayes St., 415-355-1100) or online.
2. We love the miniature tasting cube from Tcho chocolate—six 9-gram bars in four different varieties, perfect for the connossieur. $8, available at the retail shop (Pier 17, 415-981-0189) or online.
3. These elegant bundles of hand-tied tea bloom like flowers in a cup of hot water. Perfect for the whole-leaf tea lover on the go. $12, available at Teance (1780 Fourth St., 510-524-2832) or online.
4. This cute mini bottle of St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur is just enough for one cocktail—better slip two in the stocking. $5 for a 50 ml bottle, available at John Walker & Co. (175 Sutter St. 415-986-2707).
5. Give the “I Am Not a Paper Cup” ceramic cup (modeled after the classic to-go coffee cup) to your Ritual-addicted friend and watch them out coffee-geek the competition. $22, available at SFMOMA Store (151 Third St., 415-357-4035) or online.
6. Ensure that every salad you eat during dieting season will be extra-delicious by sliding a bottle of Valderrama Arbequina olive oil into your favorite cook’s stocking. $21 for a 500 ml bottle, available at Le Sanctuaire (315 Sutter St., 415-986-4216) or online.