While demographers and marketing executives may argue over how to define generations, they agree about the impact that Generation Y -- no matter which set of age parameters you use -- is having on communications technology, ecommerce, and the media.
It’s huge, as several recent reports document.
For example, a recent study from Barkley reports that Millennials aged 16-34:
- Watch much less TV than other Americans (26 percent v. 47 percent).
- But watch many more TV shows on laptops (42 percent v. 18 percent), and other devices.
- Are much more likely to be influenced by their friends about where to shop, etc. (70 percent v. 45 percent).
- Like to check out brands on social media sites more than older Americans (53 percent v. 36 percent).
- Like brands more if on social media sites (33 percent v. 17 percent).