15 Startups Poised to Make Waves in 2012
All over the Bay Area, particularly in San Francisco, thousands of startups are developing innovative products and services that collectively promise to transform the way we live our lives going forward.
Now it's time to identify 15 more local companies, some big, some small, that are already having impacts, some local, some global, in a dozen different sectors of the economy.
The goal is to capture some of the diversity and breadth of the tech boom that is sweeping through the local entrepreneurial scene. Most of these startups are still early-stage, and all of them have competitors, so it's too early to say which among them will ultimately turn out to be winners or losers.
But after examining them and their competitive environments this past year, I like their chances.
(Companies listed alphabetically. Click through to read an in-depth profile of each company.)
Boutiika (ecommerce - local)
BranchOut (professional networking)
HotPads (housing search)
Nextdoor (hyperlocal networking)
One Medical Group (health care)
Practice Fusion (health care records)
Tango (mobile commuications - video)
Ubergizmo (product reviews)
Zozi (travel and adventure)
- Fifteen More Startups Poised to Make Waves in 2012
- Disposable Film Festival, Practice Fusion Announce Winners of First-Ever Health Contest
- SF-Based Practice Fusion Provides Electronic Health Records (EHR) Services to Doctors for Free
- San Francisco is "a Very zozi City," Says Founder of Adventure Startup zozi
- Interactive Health Care @ One Medical Group is Catching On Big-Time