You certainly don't need a reason to go to Thread this weekend. But we'll give you seven:
1. Fresh fashion finds from independent minds: Over a hundred independent designers and artists from the Bay Area and beyond will be selling their wares, offering up style advice and taking custom orders just in time for the holidays. We hear there will be special deals in every booth, with some participants offering their goods for up to 80 percent off retail. On the vendor list: Concepcion, juleselin, Secession Art + Design, Heathen and Mod Clothing.
2. Runway eye candy: Two live fashion show performances each day held at 1 and 4 p.m. will showcase clothing and accessories from participating designers, as well as live acts singing, dancing and dropping lyrics.
3. Secondhand style: New to Thread this year, a clothing swap allows you to trade good condition, designer apparel that you no longer wear for new-to-you items free of charge (in fact, you’ll save $2 off admission at the door when you bring a bag of clothes). To participate, bring 10 items, and you’ll be able to pick five new ones. Swapping is open each day from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. All leftovers will be donated to charity. Note that jewelry, handbags, belts and items such as underwear and swimsuits will not be accepted. Shoes, hats, denim and other clothing items are fair game.
4. Green goods: An eco-friendly section showcases clothing and accessories made using sustainable production methods, recycled materials, organic fabrics and more. Stop by to peruse vendors such as Nicacelly, LANA and Coco Loco Jewelry.
5. Art starting at $50: A curated show presented by Art Now SF brings a slew of affordable art works by local creatives, while three art lounges feature additional diversions such as live painting by Tribe 13 and a live art installation by Bay Area Artsprojekt.
6. Design your own t-shirt: Design and print your own organic cotton t-shirt with the help of local artists manning the SEZIO station.
7. Get dolled up: Bay Area make-up and hair artist Nikol Elaine will be touching up tresses and prettying up faces during the show. Afterwards, pop into the Thread photo booth and say cheese.
Thread takes place on Saturday and Sunday at Fort Mason from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. RSVP online for $2 off admission.