Thanks to a substantial winter, the snow is sticking around for a while longer in Tahoe.
But when the sun comes out for summer, it shines on the wide range of activities. As the weather warms, gear up for adventures like hiking, biking, swimming, and rock climbing at Via Ferrata, and then take a load off with local brews, spa treatments, and luxurious boat charters. Plus, look out for a few great day trips and the coolest places to stay in Lake Tahoe.
Sports + Activities for Tahoe Summers
Get high on altitude on the Tahoe Via Ferrata at Squaw Valley Resort.
(Courtesy of Via Ferrata)
1. Explore the scenic routes on Tahoe's Via Ferrata, aka the Iron Road, with trained mountaineers at Squaw Valley Resort. // tahoevia.com
2. Can't get enough of granite rocks? Swim out to the iconic Bonsai Rock near Carson City. // atlasobscura.com
4. Seek out sunken boats by kayak or snorkel at Emerald Bay Maritime Heritage Trail, California's first underwater trail that opened in October 2018. // parks.ca.gov
5. Fly along Heavenly's peaks on the Ridge Rider Mountain Coaster. // skiheavenly.com/epicdiscovery
6. Learn AcroYoga on King's Beach with an Airbnb Experience. // airbnb.com
7. Bike along the nearly completed Tahoe-Pyramid Trail, running from Tahoe City to Sparks, NV. // tahoepyramidtrail.org
8. Learning how to backpack? Try the "Taste of the TRT" guided tours. // tahoerimtrail.org
10. Access miles of backcountry with guided UTV tours out of Truckee. // offroadtahoe.com
Where to Eat + Drink in Tahoe This Summer
Order a flight of lake-brewed beers at South Lake Brewing Co.'s tasting room.
(Courtesy of South Lake Brewing Co.)
11. Chow down on rotisserie and fruit spritzers from a converted Unimog (that's a truck, in case you didn't know) in Truckee. // mogrog.com
12. Choose from Japanese, Lebanese and Creole dishes, as well as pours from 12 rotating tap beers, at Brewforia in Incline Village. // brewforia.com
13. Celebrate New Orleans during the Truckee Craw Thaw Music Festival. // truckeecrawthaw.com
15. Pick up local kimchi, cheese, and honey from Tahoe Food Hub's Farm Shop in Truckee. // tahoefoodhub.org
16. Park in the Galena forest (Reno) for a Rawbry smoothie, lavender latte, and a handcrafted egg and ham croissant at Reno's The Lodge Coffee + Wine.
17. Order a flight with the Kook Joose IPA, Pilsner of Society, and Berliner? I Hardly Knew Her brews at South Lake Brewing Co. in South Lake Tahoe. // southlakebeer.com
18. Share locally sourced charcuterie, ceviche, and sliders at Philosophy. // truckeephilosophy.com
19. Get the best views at The Beach House in South Lake Tahoe, only open in the summer. // beachhousetahoe.com
Relaxing Boat Charters, Spa Treatments + More Ways to Chill in Tahoe
Kick back and sip drinks aboard the Stellar Tahoe Formula 330.
(Courtesy of Stellar Tahoe)
21. Charter a private, bar hopping boat trip on the Stellar Tahoe Formula 330, based out of Carnelian Bay on the North Shore. // stellartahoe.com
22. Sample sun-grown cannabis the greenhouse at SoL Cannibis in Washoe Valley. // solisbetter.com
23. Elevate your average spa treatment with infused oxygen and gem stones at Spa Edgewood in Stateline. // edgewoodtahoe.com/spa
24. After a refreshing dip in Big Blue, get naked at Secret Cove.
25.View Orion and Saturn's rings from the Cosmoarium at Northstar California, a "bronze" level dark skies park. // northstarcalifornia.com
26. Relax on an Aqua Lily Pad (it's basically like your own private island) from Tahoe Jet Boats. // tahoejetboats.com
27. Save some time for wine tasting and live music at the Idle Hour in South Lake Tahoe // theidlehourlaketahoe.com
29. Deprive all your senses at Rise Float House in Truckee. // floattahoe.com
Exploring and Day Trips Around Lake Tahoe
Lace up your hikers for a truly exploratory trek through the Donner Pass Tunnels, completed in 1867 but un-trodden by any train since the early 1990s.
(Courtesy of California Through My Lens)
31. Live the #vanlife in a Dodge Sprinter camper van at King's Beach. // outdoorsy.com
33. Discover hidden wineries in El Dorado County. // visit-eldorado.com
36. Add to your urbex map by exploring the Donner Pass Summit Tunnels. // atlasobscura.com
39. Escape to a lake in the desert. // pyramidlake.us
40. Escape to a river in The Biggest Little City. // visitrenotahoe.com
Where to Stay in Lake Tahoe This Summer
With fireplace suites, restaurants, and heated pools there's no need to leave the Resort at Squaw Creek.
(Courtesy of Resort at Squaw Creek)
41. Go glamping at Falling Water Oasis in the Sierra foothills. // tentrr.com
42. Contemporary mountain style and a cooling pool are ready for you at South Lake Tahoe's Coachman Hotel. // coachmantahoe.com
43. Book lake views and get free bike rentals at Hotel Azure in South Lake Tahoe. // hotelazuretahoe.com
44. Watch the stars from the Ludlow Hut near Lost Corner Mountain in Norden. // clairtappaanlodge.com/ludlow-hut
45. Book a retro RV (but still enjoy a bathroom) in Nevada City. // inntowncampground.com
46. Camp at 9,300 feet at the newly renovated Mount Rose Campground in North Lake Tahoe. // gotahoenorth.com
47. Head to adult summer camp with free s'mores and cozy cabins at Cedar Glen Lodge in Tahoe Vista. // tahoecedarglen.com
48. Live the off-grid life in a tiny house at Muirs Muse Retreat. // hipcamp.com
49. Cut the evening chill with a fireplace suite at Resort at Squaw Creek. // destinationhotels.com
50. Got a big group? Get it all at this luxurious rental with lakeside hot tub on the North Shore. // glampinghub.com
While you're there...
(Courtesy of Hard Rock Hotels & Casino Lake Tahoe)
Make sure to check out Hard Rock Hotels & Casino Lake Tahoe, which provides guests with one-of-a-kind accommodations that brings together quality and edge against the backdrop of the mesmerizing views of Lake Tahoe. Take a tour around the property to see guitars, drums, vintage T-shirts, and autographed guitars by your favorite artists. The newly renovated hotel is a short walk to Heavenly Village and the Gondola, and features 539 guest rooms, each with an in-room safe and luxurious bedding. There are four restaurants, with something to appeal to every palate, from quick grab and go at Fuel, to burgers and beer at Alpine Union, delicious fresh seafood at the Oyster Bar, and casual fine dining at Park Prime. // For more information and reservations, go to hardrockcasinolaketahoe.com.
*Thank you to our partners at Hard Rock Hotels & Casino Lake Tahoe.