This Saturday, Japanophiles from all over the Bay will pay homage to Tokyo's Harajuku district by wearing "costumes" ranging from goth to Lolita (think Little Bo Peep). It'll be just one of many interesting sights at this year's J-Pop Summit Festival in Japantown.
While you may not want to go all-out for this one, you can still dress for the occasion by incorporating key trends: bows, Peter Pan collars, lace, Mary-Janes, platforms, and black. Luckily, many of these trends are in this fall, too. We spun the Harajuku staples into a modern, completely wearable look, with versatile separates that you'll cherish this fall.
1. Rachel Comey Carver Suede Mary Janes, $370
2. Forever 21 Crochet Lace Skirt, $19.80
3. Betsey Johnson Soft Flat Bow Belt, $28
4. Betsey Johnson Chain Links Square Face Watch, $185
5. Topshop Tall Crochet Peter Pan Collar Swing Top, $66
Lily Ko (lily.7x7 @ gmail.com) studied fashion design and merchandising at Central Saint Martins and the Academy of Art University. In addition to writing for 7x7, Lily is an editor at SF Station, works as a freelance stylist and covers food, fashion and fun on her blog, Curated SF.