Eating healthy can be tasty too with SHED's charred cauliflower and kale salad.
This gorgeous dish is layered with contrasting flavors and textures for balanced, nutritious, and delicious dish. The crunch of crispy fried kale against the creamy pecan puree and the warmth of the vadouvan vinaigrette against the sweetness of the medjool date—it's perfection on a plate. Fun fact: this dish is vegan, too!
Make it at home with the recipe below.
Healdsburg SHED Cafe's Charred Cauliflower Salad with Vadouvan Vinaigrette
For the pecan puree:
2 cups of pecans, toasted
3 tablespoons of coriander seeds, toasted
1.5 cups of water
1 Bay leaf
1 tablespoon of salt
1. Place all ingredients into a pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Remove the Bay leaf and place mixture into blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds.
For the vinaigrette:
1 cup of yellow onions, diced
3 tablespoons of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of vadouvan
1 tablespoon of mustard seeds
2 tablespoons of good white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons of Meyer lemon juice
1 cup plus 4 tablespoons of blended oil
1/2 cup of good extra virgin olive oil
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoons salt
1. In a sauté pan add the 4 tablespoons of blended oil and heat over medium flame.
2. Add onions, garlic, Bay leaf, mustard seeds, salt and the vadouvan. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Remove from heat and place into a blender after (removing the Bay leaves.) Blend for 20 seconds, add the vinegar and lemon juice.
3. Place the blender on low and drizzle in the remaining blended oil and extra virgin olive oil.
For the cauliflower:
1 large white cauliflower
2 tablespoons rice or grapeseed oil
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons Kosher salt
1. Cut the florets off of the stalk of the cauliflower. Cut the large florets in half so they have a flat surface.
2. Heat a 12 inch'' cast iron skillet. Add oil and wait until the oil starts to smoke.
3. Add the half florets (flat side down, and) and sear until that they are partially charred. After about 5 minutes, add all smaller florets to the pan.
4. Place pan in a 400°F oven for 6 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and place cauliflower into a mixing bowl.
16 medjool dates, pitted and cut in half)
1 cup of wild pecans, toasted
2 large handfuls of young kale (Optional: Place some in your oven overnight to get them crisp.)
1. On the plate or platter desired, spoon and swirl the pecan on the plate(s).
2. Dress the warm cauliflower (warm) with about half of the vinaigrette.
3. Place the dressed cauliflower on top of the puree.
4. Sprinkle with toasted pecans and dates. Garnish with kale.
5. Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette over the salad. Enjoy!
// SHED, 25 North St (Healdsburg), healdsburgshed.com