There's something about masala chai that just warms our hearts, and we can't think of a better blend than the spiced goodness being served at Oakland's Juhu Beach Club. Now you can get the same feeling at home with the JBC official recipe. Feel free to add bourbon or dark rum for a treat!
5 black tea bags
½ cup sugar
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tsp chai spice* (see recipe below)
3 cups water
1/2 cup whole milk
1. Put all ingredients except for milk in a saucepan and bring to a rolling boil.
2. Add milk and heat to boiling again.
3. Watch carefully—at this stage the chai can very rapidly overflow. Proper masala chai is always boiled, not steeped.
4. Remove from heat, strain with a small sieve.
5. Add bourbon or dark rum for a holiday treat!
Chai Spice Mix
5 cinnamon sticks
¼ cup whole cloves
½ cup green cardamom
¼ cup black peppercorns
1. Lay spices out on a sheet pan and roast in 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes to release flavor.
2. Let cool and grind in spice grinder.
*Will keep for about 2 weeks in airtight container.