Secret Recipe: Americano's Candy Cap Ice Cream Sandwiches
7x7 asks the city's chefs for the recipes to their most loved cocktails, bar snacks, starters, mains, and desserts. If there's a dish you can't stop thinking about and want to make at home, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Your wish may end up on the blog, along with the actual recipe from the chef.
Candy Cap Ice Cream Sandwiches
Butterscotch Pecan Cookies
1/2 pound butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown Sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
Candy Cap Gelato
4 1/2 cups milk
3 cups sugar
27 egg yolks
9 cups cream
2 ounces Candy Cap Mushrooms
Brown Sugar Caramel
2 ounces butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 cup cream
1. Melt butterscotch chips over a water bath. Once melted, spread onto a parchment-lined sheet pan. Cool in freezer for 10 minutes. Chop up finely and set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Add flour, baking soda and salt. Add chips and nuts.
3. Scoop with #40 cookie scoop, or a generous tablespoon. Refrigerate overnight. Flatten to 1/2-inch thick.
4. Bake at 350 degrees in conventional oven for 7 minutes, then rotate pan and bake 3-4 minutes until golden.
Note: If freezing the pre-scooped dough, temper dough for 5-7 min before flattening and baking. Cookies should be flat.
1. Scald milk, sugar, and mushrooms. Let sit 1 hour.
2. Reheat the milk and temper in the yolks.
3. Pour in the cream. Cool and refrigerate overnight.
4. Strain out mushrooms before spinning into lined 1/2 sheet pans.
1. Brown the butter in a small saucepan
2. Add sugar, corn syrup, and half of the cream. Stir until incorporated. Bring to a boil WITHOUT stirring. Boil for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the rest of the cream and stir until incorporated.
1. Have baked cookies ready and find a cutter that best matches the size, or eyeball with a spoon.
2. Use that cutter or spoon to cut or scoop out the ice cream, sandwich together, and freeze one hour before serving.