There's probably nothing better than the mountains in summer. The days are hot and sunny and the nights are cool with that perfect temperature for sleeping in a tent.
Lake Tahoe really comes alive in the summer months with various outdoor sports and special events. Even though this list could go on ad infinitum, we narrowed it down to the top 50.
2. Get wet in the whitewater of the American, Yuba or Truckee rivers.
3. Rent a pontoon boat or jet ski from SWA Watersports.
5. Get nude at Whale Beach and Secret Cove.
6. Tandem paraglide over the water with Lake Tahoe Paragliding.
8. Zip, tube or rock climb at Heavenly's Adventure Peak.
9. Share the "Boatrocker" cocktail at the Boathouse on the Pier.
10. Enjoy Higashino Farmhouse beer (with peppercorns and pear juice) at the Tahoe Mountain Brewing Company brewhouse.
11. Sit in the sand at Christy Hill's SandBar with a glass of Lioco.
12. Enjoy a Tahoe Hot Stone Massage at the Resort at Squaw Creek.
14. Pick up unusual gifts from Bespoke in Truckee.
15. Pick up handmade jewelry at Trunk Show in Tahoe City.
16. Hike the high altitude trails of Donner Pass.
17. Camp and meditate at High Camp during Wanderlust Squaw Valley.
19. Fish Tahoe's full creeks with Tahoe Flyfishing.
21. Section hike the Tahoe Rim Trail.
22. Tackle Mount Tallac.
23. Scramble up Job's Peak.
26. Bike the nearly completed Tahoe Pyramid Bikeway.
27. Get a tan at Donner Lake's public docks.
28. Enjoy 4th of July fireworks in South Tahoe, Tahoe City, Reno and Sparks
29. Embrace the Bard at the Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival.
30. Get down and dirty during the Tough Mudder endurance race.
34. Befriend a trail horse at Alpine Meadows Stables.
35. Kayak camp in Emerald Bay.
36. Grab an organic smoothie and sandwich at Tahoe Central Market in King's Beach.
37. Get healthy with yoga and wellness at Granlibakken Tahoe.
39. Feast on local cuisine at Truckee Tavern & Grill.
41. Go old-school with drive-in (and bike-in) movies at Homewood Mountain Resort.
44. Play a round at the Old Greenwood public golf course.
45. Get the best view at the lake with Lake Tahoe Balloons.
49. Sample farm to fork at Sample the Sierra.
50. Enjoy the sunset.