On Friday night, an eager crowd gathered under a tent at the California College of the Arts for the school’s 2010 Senior Fashion Show to watch four- and five-piece collections from 18 graduating seniors head down the runway.
A distinctly artistic thread ran throughout the collections. Instead of an eye toward trends or the commercial, the looks instead revealed a willingness to experiment with textiles and sculpt fabrics into a panoply of diverse shapes and silhouettes. Here, seven looks from the show that we just had to share:
1. Laura Schmits’ imaginative jackets and use of fabrics in various stages of decay caught more than our eyes. At the end of the show, Schmits was honored with an emerging talent award from Surface magazine.
2.Janine Lee’s cinched cotton sateen dress mixed a high-impact hue with bohemian effortlessness.
3. Drew Thornton Kleiner wowed onlookers by sending models in ballet-inspired garments down on their point shoe-clad tippy toes.
4. JiHae Kim brought a welcome twist to a versatile knit top with the use of zippers.
5. Amy Austin Nelson’s lace bodysuit revealed an acute understanding of the female form.
6. The ultra-casual, yet edgy streetwear of Gina Kim looked ready to break free from the tent and hit the streets of San Francisco.
7. Srira Zadmehran’s children’s apparel prompted more than a few smiles, while her young models were the evening’s biggest crowd pleasers.