Foreign Cinema's spiced up take on classic fried chicken is a explosion of taste thanks to a generous rubbing of madras curry paired with a hint of red chili flakes. Serve this dish any time of the day, hot or cold, a la carte or atop a bed of salad.
Madras Curry Fried Chicken
Makes: 1 fried chicken
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Madras Curry Mixture
3 tablespoons Madras curry (You can also substitute with yellow curry, if Madras curry is not available)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Small pinch granulated sugar
⅛ teaspoon red chili flakes
1 roasting chicken, about 3 pounds, cut into eight pieces: breast, wing, leg and thigh – leave skin on
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3 cups buttermilk
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Madras curry powder
For frying the chicken
4 cups peanut or grape seed oil
1. Combine all the Madras Curry ingredients and mix well.
2. To season the chicken, liberally salt the chicken pieces, then lightly rub the curry mix over the chicken pieces. (At the restaurant, the chef covers and refrigerates the chicken overnight for maximum flavor punch).
3. Place all the ingredients of the chicken flour mix in a large bowl and mix together until well blended.
4. Preheat the oil in a cast iron skillet to 300 degrees. (Use a candy or frying thermometer to do this.)
5. While the oil is gently warming, dip the curried chicken pieces into the buttermilk, and then press down into the flour mix, covering each piece thoroughly with flour and rest on a plate. Repeat this step until all the chicken is breaded.
6. When the oil is hot, place chicken pieces skin side down gently into skillet. Do not overcrowd. Be cautious of hot oil splattering.
7. Cook chicken on one side until golden brown, about 7-8 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over gently and finish cooking until done, about 5 to 7 more minutes. Continue this until all the chicken is cooked. You may add more oil if needed. Be sure the oil temperature is hot (300 degrees) each time so that the chicken cooks evenly.
8. Place the fried chicken on a rack on a sheet pan. Place in a warm 200 degree oven until ready to serve.
9. Serve with a fresh green salad. The chicken may also be served room temperature or cold for picnics.