Two of SoMa's best spots for pastrami sandwiches, Deli Board and Rye Project, are home to Adam Mesnick's noted hot sauce, Haba Haba. While packing significant heat, his sauce tastes fresh and bright. And who knows? Maybe Haba Haba will make you think twice before picking up another bottle of Sriracha.
2 types of habanero peppers
1. Pickle the habaneros in a mixture of distilled white vinegar and kosher salt for about 3 weeks.
2. After pickling, blend the habaneros with more vinegar, salt, fresh carrots, onions, and garlic.
4. Extract the haba "juice" with a very fine chinois.
5. Blend the juice with more vinegar and salt to taste.
6. Drop a little citric acid in as a preservative and it adds a nice pucker.
7. Stabilize the sauce with xanthan gum to provide stability and keep it from separating.
TASTER’S CHOICE: Can’t stop thinking about that perfect dish you’re dying to make at home? Email your favorites to firstname.lastname@example.org. The best recipes will be published at 7x7.com/secret-recipe.