We Wanna Be Friends With: SFist's Brock Keeling
Our city is chock-full of interesting people and wild personalities. Overwhelmed by the coolness? Every week we'll pick one standout local we'd love to be friends with to answer seven essential questions about their life in San Francisco.
Brock Keeling is our type of dude. As the Editor-in-Chief of SFist.com, he lives and breathes city news (feels familiar). He covers everything from breaking news (shootings, accidents, etc.) to the stuff we really want to know, like The Best Dive Bars in San Francisco.
Although we don't share his hatred for NorCal burritos, we can definitely get behind his sense of humor and couldn't ask for a better interviewee for our inaugural We Wanna Be Friends With Q&A series!
1. What neighborhood do you currently call home? Would you ever move or are you happy in your 'hood?
BK: I live and love in SOMA. I would prefer the Tenderloin/Tendernob, specifically in a lovely 1-BR on Sutter that overlooked street traffic and colorful passersby; however, as a writer who lives well outside of his means, that is a pipe-dream.
2. What's your hands-down last meal on earth, absolute favorite thing to eat in SF?
If the world were ending? Through my tears, I would enjoy the tasting menu at Benu followed by two king-size Reese's cups and a bag of heroin.
3. What's your perfect night on the town?
One that I can remember the next morning.
4. When you need a low-key afternoon, where do you go for down time?
Bring my laptop to Arlequin Café's patio, eat chocolate and fries with my godchildren, both of whom are watching movies quietly on their iPads.
5. What's your favorite place to go on a day trip from the city?
Boonville or Santa Cruz–both feature whack-a-doo locals who think I'm city trash.
6. Quick-fire round (pick one):
Burrito or Burger?
BURGER (NorCal burritos are vile.)
Presidio or Golden Gate Park?
BiRite or Mitchell's?
Bike or MUNI:
Fort Mason or Dolores Park?
The Independent or The Fillmore?
Baker Beach or Ocean Beach?
7. Three words that describe your life in SF?
Back door, please.
Want more Brock? Here's how to find him: