The Eater Wrap: Bar Crudo, Hello, Jeanty at Jack's, Goodbye
'Twas quite the week over at Eater SF, and since it's already Friday, here's editor Paolo Lucchesi to provide your weekly recap of all the restaurant news from the last seven days.
1) Yeah, so, big week. That Bauer business obviously stole the headlines, and for good reason (though nearly every critic in NYC and LA has already been outed), but there was plenty of other big happenings on the dining scene, so let's hop to it.
2) Right before the holiday weekend, news broke on Eater that Philippe Jeanty would be shuttering his seven-year-old Financial District endeavor, Jeanty at Jack's. The closure is being blamed on the economy, but there is still a chance that the historic Sacramento Street building will be reborn as another restaurant in a similar vein as Jeanty. Stay tuned, won't you?
3) But for every big closing, there's at least one notable opening, and this week's biggie was Bar Crudo's reemergence on Divis. The early returns on the bigger version of the seafood gem are encouraging too.
4) Epic fail of the week goes to the Yelp Newsletter, which was titled "Put the Fun Between Your Legs." The bad part? It was sponsored by SF Women Against Rape.
5) Ms. Luisa Hanson continues to be a polarizing figure around town, as the controversial restaurateur recently filed for bankruptcy protection under Chapter 11. Naturally, commenter debates ensued.
6) One of the more popular bars in SoMa, John Colins, will be moving to some new digs this summer. The new, bigger location is just around the corner—according to the Googles, it is 0.1 miles away—and the reason for the shift is the Transbay Terminal.
7) The inimitable Tony Bourdain created a big stir earlier this year when he popped into local restaurants to film an upcoming episode for No Reservations. At the time, his whereabouts were mapped out, and now comes the news that the San Francisco episode will be inspired by the classic McQueen film Bullitt. It's planned to air late summer or early fall. Get. Excited.
- The Eater Wrap: Lord Thomas Loses, Jamie Rocks and Yelp Defends Itself
- The Eater Wrap: Alice Returns, Midi Opens, RN74 Readies
- The Eater Wrap: Red's Hiatus, Alice Waters Votes and Jeanty Gets Spanked
- The Eater Wrap: Hello Smuggler's Cove, Pi Bar and Plant Cafe
- The Eater Wrap: Gatekeepers, Black Saturday and Yelp Under the Microscope