The Eater Wrap: A Fire At Chow, A Demotion At Oliveto And The Spruce Takeover Of Aqua
It's Friday, which means time for the Eater Wrap, the weekly recap from Eater SF on all the happenings from the local restaurant scene.
1) On the corner of Market and Church, an early morning fire took out Chow this morning. According to the restaurant, the initial estimate on the forced vacation has been set at "at least a few weeks."
2) Monday was Oakland Funday at Eater, meaning a field trip across the Bay was in order to do all kinds of things, including taking a long look inside the new huge Lake Chalet, check out plywood in the emerging Jack London Square, and so much more.
3) 'Twas a week chock full of Top Chef madness. First, Rick Bayless triumphed over the Bay Area's charming, silver-foxy duo of Michael Chiarello and Hubert Keller to take the crown of Top Chef Masters. Then, the sixth season of the real Top Chef debuted in Vegas, and there's the mega-recap to prove it.
4) M-Biggity dropped his hammer on Oliveto for his weekday review, demoting the Italian heavyweight from a loft 3.5 stars all the way down to two stars. You do hate to see that.
5) The boozey scoop of the week involved an upcoming saloon from the Absinthe team. To be called Comstock Saloon, it will take over the historic Columbus Avenue space currently occupied by SF Brewing Company and will be in the Barbary Coast tradition.
6) The Bacchus Management Group—perhaps better known as the team behind Spruce, Village Pub and the like—has been enlisted by the courts to help rejuvenate struggling Aqua.
7) Guy Fieri's fanbase? Big, interesting, mostly trashy.
- The Eater Wrap: Flour + Water, In. Aqua, Out?
- The Eater Wrap: Tadich's Fire, Mission Burger and More!
- The Eater Wrap: Critic Shuffles, Town Hall's New Chef, and the New Eater 38
- The Eater Wrap: Bocuse Semi-Finalists, Sprinkles Madness, Hot Chefs and Still More Openings
- The Eater Wrap: The Joe Wars, Behind the SPQR Scenes, More Alice Dreams