Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink For Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Brown Bag Exhibition: The clothing-boutique-cum-gallery D-Structure is a reliable source of friendly Friday nights floated on free/cheap beer, cocktails, and wine. Their newest art show, Brown Bag Exhibition, is dedicated to starving artists, and features work done on or with cheapo materials. The presence of the booze isn't confirmed, but even if it's not there, you can't expect to name your gallery exhibition "Brown Bag" and not see a few Tecate tallboys wander over from the corner store, right? (Friday, April 2, 8 pm, at D-Structure, 520 Haight St., Lower Haight.)
2. The Rumble: We're super-excited to see The Owl Mag's Rumble event, a reliable source of good music and free booze, rise like a phoenix from its months beneath the recession rubble. The venue may have switched from Harlot to Milk Bar, but with Pepper Rabbit, Veil Veil Vanish, and Silver Swans all playing, and a free Trumer Pils in your hand, it's change you can believe in. RSVP at SonicLiving to get the free beer. (Wednesday, April 7, 8 pm, at Milk Bar, 1840 Haight St., Upper Haight.)
3. SF Weekly Web Awards: In an attempt to gather the best in local resources, the SF Weekly is holding an online survey to determine which websites and social-media types rule the roost in SF. (May we suggest you nominate a certain columnist who has saved you a bundle on drinks? "Best Events Blog" probably suits, though just writing this sentence makes us feel like contenders for "Most Shameless Self-Promoter.") Anyway, you don't have to be a Web Award winner to enjoy the mag's free open-bar celebration, complete with vegan cinnamon rolls and Korean tacos. Just RSVP here, and get ready to drink with the Internet. (Wednesday, April 7, 5-9 pm, at 111 Minna Gallery, 111 Minna St., SOMA.)
4. Tweservation at Coda: The party monsters at Tweservation are up to their old tricks, bringing their happy hour back to Coda, where they were already in residence once this month. The deal is similar: use your Twitter account to RSVP to Tweservation here, then show up to enjoy a free beer, cocktail, or glass of wine. As a bonus, Thomas Fogarty will also be offering a free wine tasting, and SF's own Bourbon Kings will play. (Wednesday, April 7, 6-7:30 pm, at Coda, 1710 Mission St., Mission.)
5. Half-Price Wine at The Republic: This swanky sports bar, recently named one of the city's four best by Thrillist, is looking to brighten up dreary Monday nights with a few bottles of half-off vino. Since they're owned by the same folks who brought you wine-centric Bin38, the selection is enviable, and there's $4 craft beers at happy hour for those who aren't into wine. (Wine: Mondays, 4 pm-close, Happy hour: Monday-Friday, 4-6:30 pm, at The Republic, 3213 Scott St., Marina.)