Lowering the Bar: 5 Places to Drink for Cheap (or Free) This Week
Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Free St. Pat's Drink at Harlot: If your St. Patrick's Day plans run more towards DJs than old Irish drinking songs, head to Harlot, where JJ Flores will be spinning. The $10 admission includes a free drink of your choice, though given the nature of the holiday, you'll probably want more than just one. And if you've got a March birthday, your luck of the Irish doubles; they're offering unspecified drink specials. (Thursday, March 17, 8:30 pm-2 am, at Harlot, 46 Minna St., SOMA.)
2. Epic Roasthouse's 4B Special: Alliteration is a March Madness hobby at Epic Roasthouse, whose four Bs are as follows: Bloody Mary, brunch, beignet, and basketball. For $20, you get a package deal of all four in their Quiver Bar, with your choice of brunch entree and plenty of big-screen TVs showing the NCAA tournament games. It's the recipe for a perfect March Saturday. (Saturday, March 19, and Sunday, March 20, 11 am-3 pm, at Epic Roasthouse Quiver Bar, 369 The Embarcadero, Embarcadero.)
3. March Madness at Elixir: If you're a fan of Bulleit Bourbon, you'll be happy to know that they've just introduced their first-ever rye. Bottles are fairly rare in the city at the moment, so if you want to sample it, head to Elixir for a basketball game-- they'll give you $2 off the pairing of any draft beer and a shot of Bulleit Rye if you order during the tourney. (During every March Madness game, at Elixir, 3200 16th St., Mission.)
4. Free Dynamo Donuts and Beer: After their neighbors Humphry Slocombe introduced a benefit ice cream swirled with Project Open Hand peanut butter, Dynamo Donut also decided to hop on the sweets-for-charity bandwagon. Their new donut combines said peanut butter with a banana-honey glaze, and if you drop by their launch party, you can sample the treat and help brainstorm a good name over a glass of Stiegl Goldbrau beer. It's all gratis, though throwing a few bucks Project Open Hand's way wouldn't be amiss. (Friday, March 18, 4-6 pm, at Dynamo Donut, 2760 24th St., Mission.)
5. Free St. Patrick's Day Cab Rides: As we've come to expect on major drinking holidays, the good people at Berg Injury Lawyers are once again sponsoring cabs to save SF's dipsomaniacs from ourselves. Call Luxor Cab at (415) 282-4141, tell them Berg is picking up the tab, and don't dare to request a ride to another bar-- they'll take you home, and only home. It's a great day to wear, save, and turn green. Enjoy! (Thursday, March 17, 3 pm-3 am, in San Francisco.)