Secret Recipe: Beretta's Off-Menu Negroni
7x7 asks the Bay Area's chefs for the recipes to their most loved cocktails, bar snacks, starters, mains, and desserts. If there's a dish you can't stop thinking about and want to make at home, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Your wish may end up on the blog, along with the actual recipe from the chef.
Beretta is my neighborhood haunt for good reason: The drinks are killer and the bartenders are always up for a challenge if you’ve imbibed your way through the cocktail list. With this recipe, bar manager Dominic Alling riffs on the classic ruby-hued Negroni, giving it a tropical edge with off-menu coconut-infused Campari. Bon voyage.
Negroni, Beretta style
Crushed coconut chips for garnish (available at Bi-Rite)
1½ ounces Plymouth gin
¾ ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
¾ ounce coconut-infused Campari (see recipe below)
½ ounce Carpano Antica
1. Wet the rim of a Nick & Nora glass with the Campari infusion. Then tip the glass over and apply the wetted rim to the crushed coconut chips so they stick to the glass and create a halo.
2. Pour all liquid ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice.
3. Shake well and strain into glass.
½ cup coconut chips
1½ cups Campari
1. Infuse coconut chips in Campari for 24 hours.
2. Strain Campari with fine mesh sieve. Discard coconut chips.