This Week in Food: Cheese Shop Opening, All Things Goat, Food as Art, and a Pop-Up Passover
Today, April 13
That stretch of Valencia between 18th and 19th streets is getting yet another new foodie destination. Today, Sarah Dvorak (previously of Jardinière) opens Mission Cheese, a 20-seater with pressed sandwiches, charcuterie, mac and cheese, and plates that pile on Fiscalini cheddar, Cowgirl Wagon Wheel, and Capricious aged goat, among other things. 736 Valencia St.
Saturday, April 16
We’re in the thick of spring, so you’ve probably noticed everything goat (milk, cheese, legs, and loins) on seasonal menus lately. At 3 p.m., authors Mark Scarborough and Bruce Weinstein will be at Omnivore Books, talking about their book, Goat: Meat, Milk, Cheese, and making a case for the next trend in red meat. 3885 Cesar Chavez St.
Also, starting Saturday, a restaurant/art project called The Photosynthetic Restaurant will be open through July 17 at the Crocker Art Museum’s gardens in Sacramento. Conceptual artist Jonathon Keats mixes different light wavelengths to feed the plants, while human patrons can enjoy salads and stir-fries. 216 O St., Sacramento
Monday, April 18
In food-as-experimentation SF, it was only a matter of time before pop-ups went holy. Wise Sons’ Evan Bloom and Leo Beckerman are setting the table for a Passover pop-up at Coffee Bar. They’ll have their Hillel sandwich with homemade matzo, brisket, gefilte fish, as well as a vanilla pot de crème with strawberries added to the classic Passover offerings. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to purchase tickets ($45 or $65 with wine). 1890 Bryant St.
- This Week in Food: The Big Eat, Pop-Up Dinner, Oscar Night, and Source Opens
- This Week in Food: Easy Creole's Pop-Up, TXOKO Opens, and Dine About Town Kicks Off
- Week in Food: Rosh Hashanah Pop-Up, Macy's at SF Proxy, Oktoberfest, Food Trivia Night, and More
- Week in Food: Almanac Beer Pop-Up, New Taste Marketplace, Lamb Jam, and more
- Week in Food: Dine About Town, Vintner Series, Il Cane Rosso Pop-Up, and Porchlight's Kitchen Tales