Barbie Whips Ken and More at Altered Barbie Exhibition
No, what you are witnessing is not more just-discovered imagery from 7x7.com’s impressive Cougar Convention archives, but rather an example of just how far America’s favorite 50-year-old plastic plaything is willing to go in support of the arts.
Find this behind-the-scenes take on the private lives of Barbie and Ken alongside many other such creations on view this month as part of the 7th Annual San Francisco Altered Barbie Exhibition.
At Shotwell 50 Studios, the event from Chatterbox International’s Julie Andersen rings in Barbie’s 50th birthday this year with Barbie-inspired work by over 100 artists in mediums from video to quilting (peep more work from participating artists here). Multimedia events, performances and workshops taking place over the course of the next few weeks include an Altered Barbie workshop at S.C.R.A.P. on Saturday, Sept. 12; a Barbie haiku and poetry slam on Sept. 18 and a wine tasting event on Sept. 23.
The show runs Sept. 10-Oct. 4. Find information on all associated events and performances on the exhibition calendar.
- 8th Annual Altered Barbie Exhibition Kicks off @ 50 Shotwell Studios This Month
- This Week in Fashion: Weekend Sales at Cary.Lane and Jeremy's, The Collection + SF Fashion Awards Poolside Show
- What’s the Deal: Saucony Originals, Line Trunk Show and more...
- 5 Special Trunk Shows: Serial Cultura, Josh Podoll, Susan Jane + More
- On the Runway: Art Institute’s Fashion Metamorphosis Show