Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF.
1. Speakeasy Heavy Metal BBQ: Speakeasy's throwing another of their famed Friday-night brewery parties, with plenty of $3 drafts to go around. This time, Good Foods Catering and Loaded Sausages will be selling BBQ-themed grub, and L.A.'s Diamond Lane will take the stage for a heavy-metal set. Get there on the early side, at 4:30, and they'll give you a free tour and show you how the beer is made. (Friday, July 22nd, 4-9 pm, at Speakeasy Ales & Lagers, 1195 Evans Ave., Bayview.)
2. Greens to Go Happy Hour: Greens to Go, the casual outpost of Fort Mason's acclaimed vegetarian restaurant, is offering its first-ever happy hour. Each month, they'll select a $5 glass of a red and white wine from a different country (this month's is Italy), to be paired with bar bites like roasted almonds, hummus, and mini empanadas. If your vegetarian friend is sick of watching you munch on chicken wings at happy hour, take the opportunity to make amends. (Monday-Friday, 5-7 pm, at Greens to Go, Fort Mason, Building A, Marina.)
3. Straw Happy Hour: Carnival-themed Straw, known for introducing San Francisco to the concept of the donut burger, is extending its caloric hedonism into happy hour. Clownish cocktails are a mere $4, and include Fun Dip-rimmed vodka drinks and a scorpion bowl with Swedish fish swimming inside. There's also $2 beers, $3 wine, and $5 snacks like Sriracha chicken wings and corn dogs. It's enough to make a hardened carny smile. (Monday-Friday, 5-6 pm, at Straw, 203 Octavia St., Hayes Valley.)
4. Slow Food Happy Hour: The Slow Food organization is introducing a new series of happy hours to promote restaurants and bars that support their mission, the first of which is tonight. The inaugural "Slow Sip" event will be held at the Dogpatch's eco-friendly wine bar, Yield; a $5 donation gets you access to discounts on several types of environmentally-friendly wine. (Wednesday, July 20th, 5-7 pm, at Yield Wine Bar, 2490 3rd St., Dogpatch.)
5. Camarena Tequila Ticket Giveaway: Camarena tequila is taking SF by storm with its Camarena Taco Truck, helmed by Tacolicious chef Telmo Faria. (Full disclosure: 7x7 editor Sara Deseran is a co-owner of Tacolicious.) Faria will be scooting around town with tequila-infused bites, but none of the real stuff, sadly (liquor laws are to blame). Want to sample Faria's fare alongside the tequila itself? We're giving away ten pairs of tickets to this Friday's launch party, featuring an open Camarena bar. Tickets are first come, first serve; sign up at our Eventbrite page, and be sure to bring the printout with you. Missed the cut? You can still snag a free taco-- follow Camarena on Twitter to see where their truck's going next. (Party: Friday, July 22nd, 7-10 pm, at SOMArts, 934 Brannan St., SOMA.)