7x7 asks the city's chefs for the recipes to their most loved cocktails, bar snacks, starters, mains, and desserts. If there's a dish you can't stop thinking about and want to make at home, email email@example.com. Your wish may end up on the blog, along with the actual recipe from the chef.
MKT Restaurant – Bar at the Four Seasons has undergone a significant revamp, from an interior facelift to menu revelations, one of which is Executive Chef Mark Richardson’s dessert section. His ice cream sandwich, inspired by his grandmother, who “used to love bananas foster and had me make it for her all the time,” he says, is like nothing I’ve ever tasted. With a perfectly crisp-yet-chewy macaron cuddling a center of banana-fied ice cream, it might just be my new favorite sweet combination. Mint-chocolate, watch your back.
Caramel Macaron and Bananas Foster Ice Cream Sandwich
1 cup Almond Flour
1 cup 10X Confectioners’ Sugar
10 ounces egg whites
1 cup sugar
3 1/2 ounces water
1 ounce egg white powder (found at most grocery stores in the baking aisle)
pastry bag and 1/2-inch plain round tip
Caramel Macaron Recipe:
1. Preheat oven to 290 degrees.
2. Pulse confectioners sugar and almond flour in a food processor until combined. Sift mixture twice.
3. Cook sugar and water to 238 degrees.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk 5 ounces of egg whites until soft peaks form.
5. Pour cooked sugar into whisked egg whites and set aside.
6. Whisk second batch of egg whites and egg white powder in another bowl until stiff peaks form. Then, fold into the sugar and egg whites mixture until smooth and shiny.
7. Transfer batter to a pastry bag, and pipe 3-inch rounds 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets
8. Let rest on baking sheet for 20 minutes.
9. Bake at 290 degrees until crisp and firm.
Bananas Foster ice cream:
3 bananas, sliced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup Meyer’s rum
1/2 tablespoon butter
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups Half and Half cream
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Melt butter in a medium sauté pan on low heat. Combine banana and sugar together in the pan and sauté until sugar begins to caramelize.
2. Add rum and flame it. Cook until alcohol is cooked out. Let cool and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the heavy cream and half and half. Gradually whisk in the sugar until blended.
4. Whisk in the vanilla.
5. Refrigerate covered for a couple of hours or until very cold (at or below 40 degrees).
6. Whisk the mixture to blend and pour into an ice cream maker.
7. Freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
8. Fold in bananas foster, mix well, and transfer to a covered container. Place in freezer to set.
Ice Cream Sandwich
1. To assemble, place macaron on the serving plate.
2. Top with ice cream and a bit of bananas foster ice cream.
3. Place second macaron on top and enjoy!