SF Street Style: Casual Chic, Printed Scarf + Button Leggings in the Financial District
I caught up with Jaynelle St. Jean, owner of Oakland's PieTisserie, last week at the Super Duper opening party. Not everyone can rock tan, high-waisted leggings, but Jaynelle wore them with confidence and she wore them well. I also love how her scarf and heels add color and instant sophistication to this otherwise casual outfit.
What she's wearing: Silk scarf purchased in Chaing Mai, Thailand. High-waisted, covered-button detail leggings and cardigan by Chaiken. Black heels with aqua and yellow toe, purchased at a garage sale on the North Shore of Oahu, Hawaii, for $1 and then resoled. Gray leather large convertible from Anthropologie.
7 Style Questions for Jaynelle:
1. What's your absolute favorite Bay area boutique?
My favorite place to shop is McMullen in Oakland. It's pretty much a one-stop shop, which is great since I barely get out of the bakery! I've picked up sandals and jeans there, and really beautiful dresses and accessories. If I didn't actually live in Oakland, I would drive from SF to shop there.
2. What's one piece of clothing you totally treasure?
A dark teal pair of cotton jeans by In God We Trust. They're distinctive and fit perfectly. I bought them in burgundy too!
3. What are you reading right now?
William Yan, ELLE, W.
4. What inspires your style?
My style is inspired by my sensibilities. They are both cosmopolitan and provincial, which has a lot to do with being born and raised here in SF, then living in Hawaii and NYC. Depending on the day, I end up somewhere along the spectrum of chic to quaint.
5. Who are your greatest style icons?
The woman who taught me to make pie and inspired my business, my high school sweetheart's mom. Classic beauties: January Jones as Betty Draper in Mad Men breaks my heart, Catherine Deneuve in Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Oscar de la Renta.
6. Where are your favorite places to kick it in SF and Oakland?
SF: The Ferry Building, South Park, Noe Valley, Stern Grove, Legion of Honor.
Oakland: Lake Merritt, 1015 Clay restaurant, Tilden Park, Wesley and Brooklyn Aves.
7. If you had to choose one...lipstick or chocolate?
Lipstick! I've long been a diehard fan of bold matte colors. And, at this point, I've made made enough chocolate cream pies at my company (PieTisserie) to satisfy a decade of cravings.
Lily Ko (lily.7x7 @ gmail.com) studied fashion design and merchandising at Central Saint Martins and the Academy of Art University. In addition to writing for 7x7, Lily is an editor at SF Station, works as a freelance stylist and covers food, fashion and fun on her blog, Curated SF.
- Do Call It a Comeback: Chaiken and Capone
- This Week in Fashion: Chaiken and Capone, Charlotte Ronson + More
- Barbacco Brings Modern Italy to the FiDi
- This Week in Fashion: Chanel Lovers at Simply Chic, Public Bikes' 1 Year Party, Banana Republic and Trina Turk Fashion Show, Styling the Modern Man + More
- Colorized, an App That turns Your iPhone into a Social Sketchpad