SF Street Style: Local Artist Charmaine Olivia, Dressed in Black, at The Shooting Gallery
Last Saturday, I caught up with local artist, Charmaine Olivia, at the opening of her first SF solo show, Ritual, (on display through February 4) at The Shooting Gallery. The artist donned a gorgeous, black, floor-length dress with cut-out details, Jeffrey Campbell pumps and her signature mix of eclectic jewelry (some of which is currently on display as part of her show).
What she's wearing: Black cut-out dress by Paprika, purchased from ASOS; Black Jeffrey Campbell pumps purchased from Shoe Biz; Necklace and Seance hand cuff by Blood Milk; Assorted jewelry from thrift stores and shops on Haight St; Tattoos by Derick Montez at Picture Machine and Mary Joy at Tattoo City; Hair cut and color by Georgia and Pretty Pretty Collective.
"I don't design my own tattoos," Charmaine said, "They're mostly just things I love -- boats, roses, eyes, tiger lilies, keys, daggers and moons."
There's nothing better than good drama in the back.
7 Style Questions for Charmaine:
1. What most influences your style?
The color black.
2. A lot of your paintings include elements of fashion. Do you design the pieces you paint and have you ever thought about fashion design?
Yeah, I just kind of make them up and I'd love to actually create some physical pieces sometime, so yes!
3. Who are your ultimate style icons?
Stevie Nicks. MK Olsen.
4. What do you have your eye on?
I've been coveting this pentagram cuff by Pamela Love for awhile now.
5. What's in your handbag?
Oh God, what isn't in my handbag? It's mostly receipts, with scattered bits of keys, pens, a Moleskine sketchbook, essential oils, Chapstick, Rescue Remedy, rings, tangles of necklaces, mini tarot cards, my iPhone, etc. It's impossible to find anything in there -- it's like a black hole.
6. What are your current SF obsessions?
Thai food all day every day. And the French fries from Slow Club (which, conveniently, is next door to my studio).
7. What is one thing you hope people take away from your current show at The Shooting Gallery?
I just hope they enjoy my little sanctuary.
Lily Ko (lily.7x7 @ gmail.com) studied fashion design and merchandising at Central Saint Martins and the Academy of Art University. In addition to writing for 7x7, Lily is an editor at SF Station, works as a freelance stylist and covers food, fashion and fun on her blog, Curated SF.
- Shawn Barber Tattoos the Shooting Gallery
- Street Style Report: Local Artist Kelly Tunstall Shows Us Four Spring Looks, in Presidio Heights
- Trick or Treat: October Movie Preview
- "Best Of" Question #6: Who's the Best Tattoo Artist in the City?
- Street Style Report: An Artist Hypnotizes Us at The Shooting Gallery