See the Solar Eclipse in Tahoe on Sunday
The first annular eclipse to be seen in the western United States in 18 years will take place on Sunday, May 20, and Truckee River Winery is extending an invitation to help celebrate the occasion.
Truckee River Winery will have a blind-tasting contest, dark-themed tastings (think dark chocolate paired with pinot noir or merlot) decorations suitable for the occasion in its tasting room, and a glow-ball bocce ball event in its barn-side court.
The apex of the annular eclipse -- in which the the apparent size of the moon is smaller than the sun, causing el sol to look like an annulus, or ring -- takes place at 6:30 p.m., but the winery's celebration lasts from 5 to 8 p.m. Truckee River Winery will have minimal eclipse-viewing glasses on hand, so try to bring your own if you can.
Truckee River Winery is located on Brockway Road (old Highway 267) across the street from the Mountain Home Center in Truckee. Call (530) 587-4626 for further information.
- Scenes of the City: Sunday's Annular Eclipse
- Tahoe Resorts Extending Their Open Seasons Past Easter Sunday
- Open House Alert: In Sausalito, a Pair of View Houses Worth Seeing This Sunday
- Open House Alert! See a Mid-Century Gem by R. G. Watanabe This Sunday
- Ambition Eclipses Suspense in ‘Prince of Persia’