We Wanna Be Friends With: Eventbrite Co-Founder & President Julia Hartz
Our city is chock-full of interesting people and wild personalities. Overwhelmed by the coolness? Every week we'll pick one standout local we'd love to be friends with to answer seven essential questions about their life in San Francisco.
When Julia met her now-husband Kevin she was working in LA, developing shows like Jackass and Nip/Tuck. Fast forward a few years and she's now the co-founder (along with Kevin) and president of ticketing start-up Eventbrite, which is poised to reach $1B in gross ticket sales this year. Any Silicon Valley hopefully would agree that Julia is living the tech dream, but along with being half of a mega-successful company she is also the woman in charge of ensuring the health and happiness of her employees, termed "Britelings."
And she's doing a darn good job. Eventbrite has been named among the top 5 best places to work in the Bay two years in a row, and personally Julia structures her days to include daily Pilates (she's a former professional ballet dancer) and being a badass mom to two young kids.
It's pretty powerful that in this town of 80-hour work weeks Julia's number one priority is the health and happiness of the people that work for her, and big thanks for taking the time to answer our We Wanna Be Friends With Q&A!
1. What neighborhood do you currently call home? Would you ever move or are you happy in your 'hood?
We recently moved to the north side of the city and we are thrilled with our new ‘hood. There is a true sense of community - and it's always a plus to be able to walk to coffee and a beautiful park.
2. What's your hands-down, absolute favorite thing to eat in SF?
The egg white sandwich (egg whites, spinach and avocado with provolone and a dash of sriracha) and a cappuccino from Jane on Fillmore.
3. What's your perfect night on the town?
Our perfect night includes quality time with our daughters combined with spending time catching up with friends. Whether that be out or at our home doesn’t matter to me much!We’re trying to perfect the art of the large and chaotic adult/child dinner party.
4. When you need a low-key afternoon, where do you go for down time?
We love to take a short hike through the Presidio, past the Spire, by Inspiration Point, and down to the Walt Disney Museum. Then, we have a picnic lunch at Off The Grid Presidio which is a very dreamy way to spend an afternoon together.
5. What's your favorite place to go on a day trip from the city?
We have fallen hard for Sonoma. The farm-feel and true rustic beauty is great juxtaposition to city living.
6. Quick-fire round:
Burrito or Burger?
Burrito, always and forever.
Presidio or Golden Gate Park?
BiRite or Mitchell's?
Bike or MUNI?
Bike. But I need to get one, first.
Fort Mason or Dolores Park?
Fort Mason, especially when there are large community events happening there.
The Independent or the Fillmore?
Baker Beach or Ocean Beach?
Baker, but outside the city we prefer Santa Cruz, where I grew up.
7. Three words that describe your life in SF?
Is it fall?
Want More Julia?
- Co-Founder Julia Hartz on Her Role as the "Operator" at Eventbrite
- Eventbrite's Co-Founder Julia Hartz Talks About Taking Her Company to the Top
- We Wanna Be Friends With: Susan G. Koger, Modcloth Founder
- Bay Area Power Couples: Kevin & Julia Hartz of Eventbrite.com
- We Wanna Be Friends With: SF Bulls Head Coach Pat Curcio