Setting goals and intentions is the very first step for embarking upon a new fitness program designed by coach Tyler Reese, of the Bay Area’s Sunset Strength and Conditioning. If you need some guidance, Reese kicked off a seven-part series on the necessities for any fitness program with a blog post on intention setting.
In this second installment of the series, Reese offers some basic lifestyle guidelines (BLGs) and habits that every human should consider.
- There are 24 hours in a day; apply work and rest appropriately.
- The earth spins, and the sun and moon correlate with our energy patterns. We need sun exposure, we sleep with the moon.
- You will one day die; get over it and get living.
- Water, moving blood, and proper digestion are essential daily routines.
- Water: Drink one-half your body weight in ounces per day, as a starting point.
- Recovery: Blood flow facilitates recovery and healing faster; get moving every day.
- Going to bed and waking up at the same time every day maintains a great circadian rhythm.
- Digestion: Food is a 36-44-hour investment. Sit down, chew your food, enjoy your food, set the phone aside, and have a conversation.
(Derick McKinney via Unsplash)
Credit to the wording of these 8 BLGs goes to OPEX Fitness, but the ideas behind them are as old as time. They basically boil down to knowing your purpose, adopting a daily rhythm, proper hydration, adequate sleep, optimum nutritional hygiene, stress regulation, and recovery.
It takes time and practice to align your BLGs. Coach Reese is always working on his food hygiene practices (and learning to slow down!), but over time these eight principles may yield the greatest results. After all, exercise may be one hour, three to five days per week, but the BLGs are every moment in between.
Are you thinking about kickstarting your fitness routine? Request a free consult with coach Tyler Reese at Sunset Strength and Conditioning, then follow up with ongoing weekly and monthly check-ins. Your plan will be adjusted to adapt to the progress you’re making or to any regressions (don't sweat it, it happens). Individual fitness services are available in person and virtually.
// Email email@example.com to request a free consult; sunsetstrength.com.