May is National Bike Month and last Thursday was San Francisco's 17th Annual Bike to Work Day. Even Mayor Ed Lee joined in on the pedal-thon, biking from Golden Gate Park to City Hall. In case you missed it, the SF Bike Coalition has some great photos of all the cyclists who inspired this week's Look.
Whether you're dodging the city's onging parking battle or saving yourself from the curious scents of MUNI, urban cycling is one addictive alternative. Mix new technical fabrics with modern apparel design, and there's no need to compromise great style for a bike ride. Check out our fabulous finds and tips for chic cycling:
- For a bike-friendly LBD, try this moisture-wicking square neck Sheila Moon dress (#4) -- it's heavy enough to stay down in the wind, and features a proper cyclist's lower back pocket. For those brutally windy days, throw on a pair of leggings or cycling shorts underneath.
- Pair the dress with these Puma ballet flats (#5) that feature an elastic edge to keep them snug on your feet, are lightweight, and not bulky, making them easy to cary if you're changing into heels. They also have support, but give flexible comfort (we're not clipping in for a race here!). If you love the look, but find you need a little more support for those inclines, slip in a Dr. Scholl's insert.
- For an easy purse solution, store your purse in this convertible Timbuk2 messenger (#6) while you ride, then fold up the bag and stow it in your purse while you walk -- brilliant!
- Finally, for the hat-hair conundrum, try a locally made Chuey Brand cycling cap (#7). This short-bill cap, designed exclusively for The Archive, are cute enough to just wear, but also, try smoothing your hair down and putting the cap on, that way your hair won't move around under your helmet. As an added bonus, the fabric also wicks away moisture, because sweaty long hair = not okay.
1. Bern Women's Muse Helmet in Matte Purple with Gray Knit, $59.99
2. Adidas by Stella McCartney Run Printed Lightning Jacket, $140
3. Terry Team Glove, $40
4. Sheila Moon Bo Peep Dress, $129.95
5. Puma Karlie Ballerina Flats, $52.50
6. Timbuk2 Hidden Messenger in recyclePET Village Violet, $30
7. Chuey Brand Archive SF Cycling Cap, $28.
Lily Ko (lily.7x7 @ gmail.com) studied fashion design and merchandising at Central Saint Martins and the Academy of Art University. In addition to writing for 7x7, Lily is an editor at SF Station, works as a freelance stylist and covers food, fashion and fun on her blog, Curated SF.