If the idea of hanging out in a wilderness tent during the winter sounds a bit iffy, TerraVelo Tours would like you to reconsider.
The glamping company has rolled into Napa, for its first-ever “outdoor luxury experience,” where, now through January, you can dive into four- or five-day immersions of wine tasting, gourmet meals, cycling and hiking, and resting your weary head in a posh safari tent set up in the outback of Pope Valley Winery in the mountains north of St. Helena.
Even a bit of rain and chill shouldn’t hamper the draw of Frette-linen-dressed full beds, plush rugs, a lounge tent with a sofa and board games, and mobile shower and toilet facilities. Right?
It’s just the latest foray for the group that offers upscale sojourns in Italy, southern Utah, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, and that tucked complimentary glamping escapes in the swag bags for 2015 Oscar Winners.
Hey, if it’s good enough for Eddie Redmayne and Julianne Moore, it’s good enough for you.
So what do you get for your four day Napa Weekend Escape ($2,150 per person) or five day Holiday Glamping Celebration over Christmas and New Year’s ($2,600 per person)?
- Accommodations in one of nine luxury safari tents outfitted like a 5-star hotel room
- Multi-course, wine-paired meals cooked on-site by a private chef, with menus like duck confit chile rellenos drizzled in blueberry sauce, and dessert of lime-vanilla crème brûlée
- A glamorous, renovated vintage 16-foot Airstream transformed into a full bar with a local mixologist crafting custom cocktails
- Seminars and tastings with Pope Valley winemaker David Eakle
- A pasta making class with chef Tyler Rodde of Oenotri in Napa
- Truffle Hunting with a skilled sniffer dog, followed by a truffle themed wine-paired dinner
- A wine cave lunch and olive oil tasting at Benziger Family Winery in Glen Ellen, plus a tour of the biodynamic vineyard, including meet-and-greets with the estate cattle, sheep, chickens and insectarium bugs
- Cycling on country roads, accented by picnic of pork loin sandwich, chilled mango soup, blue cheese coleslaw, and fresh-squeezed lemonade
- Hiking through what the website promises is “a valley of otherworldly stone goblins where it looks as if Mars and Mother Nature collide” (ie., a Napa Valley canyon)
- Campfires, live jazz, s’mores and stargazing with an astronomer-guided high-powered telescope
- Blacksmith demonstrations (a skill which could come in handy in the wild)
- Sunrise yoga
And hopefully, plenty of sunshine. // Book today: terravelotours.com