San Francisco is for lovers—and by lovers, we mean vegetarians. Our city is second to none when it comes to vegetarian and vegan cuisine, which ranges from decadent, splurge-worthy meals down to hole-in-the-wall gems that understand that a good vegetarian dish is so much more than just throwing some peas on a plate.
From Outer Richmond to SoMa, from the Presidio to the Tenderloin, read on for the 50 San Francisco vegetarian and vegan dishes to eat before you die. You won't find meat, animal broth, lard, or gelatin in these dishes, but you will find gastronomic bliss.
1. Carpaccio di Zucchini // Jackson Fillmore Trattoria 2506 Fillmore Street (at Jackson), Pacific Heights.
2. Vegetarian Stuffed Artichoke // Woodhouse Fish Co. 2073 Market Street (at Church), Upper Market; 1914 Fillmore Street (at Wilmot), Pacific Heights.
3. Green Lettuce Wrap* // House of Nanking 919 Kearny Street (at Jackson), Financial District.
4. Mysore Masala Dosa* // Udupi Palace 1007 Valencia Street (at 21st), Mission; 3242 Scott Street (at Chestnut), Marina.
5. Crisy Miso Cured Tofu Bao* // Chairman Bao (Food Truck) Multiple locations.
6. Pozole Vegetariano* // Tropisueno 75 Yerba Buena Lane (between 3rd & 4th), SoMa.
7. Vegetable Noodle Soup with Sriracha* // Sunflower Restaurant 288 Connecticut Street (at 18th), Potrero Hill.
8. Raviora Filled With Meyer Lemon Ricotta, Spring Peas, Young Onion, & Chrysanthemum // Perbaccosf 230 California Street (at Front), FiDi.
9. Tejano Veggie Burger // Roam 1785 Union Street (at Gough), Marina; 1923 Fillmore Street (at Bush), Pacific Heights.
10. Yellow Curry Tofu // Sweet Lime Thai 2100 Sutter Street (at Steiner), Lower Pac Heights.
11. Vegetarian Imperial Rolls // Mai's 316 Clement Street (at 4th), Inner Richmond. 415.221.3046.
12. Spinach and Mushroom Deep Dish Pizza // Little Star Pizza 400 Valencia Street (at 15th), Mission; 846 Divisadero Street (at McAllister), Alamo Square.
13. Malai Kofta // Mehfil Indian Cuisine 2301 Fillmore Street (at Clay), Pacific Heights; 28 2nd St (at Stevenson), FiDi.
14. Macaroni & Cheese // Palmer's 2298 Fillmore Street (at Clay), Pacific Heights.
15. Tofu Mole Burrito* // Papalote Mexican Grill 3409 24th Street (at Valencia), Mission; 1777 Fulton Street (at Masonic), NoPa.
16. Trenette with Wood Sorrel Pesto & Black Walnut // Flour + Water 2401 Harrison Street (at 20th), Mission.
17. Buffalo Fries // Upcider 1160 Polk Street, 2nd Floor (at Sutter), TenderNob.
18. Pumpkin Piergoi (seasonal) // Alta CA 1420 Market Street (at Fell), Civic Center.
19. Truffle French Fries // Presidio Social Club 563 Ruger Street, Presidio.
20. Bikini // Coqueta Pier 5, Embarcadero.
21. Garlic and Chile Dosa // Dosa 995 Valencia Street (at 21st), Mission; 1700 Fillmore Street (at Post), Japantown.
22. Crispy Tofu Sandwich* // Bun Mee 2015 Fillmore Street (at California), Pac Heights; 650 Market Street (at 2nd), FiDi.
23. Appetizer Combination Platter* // La Mediterranee 2210 Fillmore Street (at Sacramento), Pacific Heights; 288 Noe Street (at Market), Duboce Triangle.
24. Veggie Enchilada & Sweet Potato Tamale Combo* // Green Chile Kitchen 1801 McAllister Street (at Baker), NoPa.
25. Quesadilla de Acelga // El Techo de Lolinda 2518 Mission Street (at 21st), Mission.
26. Samusa Soup* // Burma Superstar 309 Clement Street (at 4th), Inner Richmond.
27. Wild Morning Pizza // Sweet Maple 2101 Sutter Street (at Steiner), Lower Pacific Heights.
28. #12: Vegetarian Sandwich* // Lee's Sandwiches 625 Larkin Street (at Willow), Tenderloin.
29. Vegetarian Burro* // Taco Bar 2401 California Street (at Fillmore), Pacific Heights.
30. Mushroom & Soy Ramen* // Ramen Bar 101 California Street (at Davis), FiDi.
31. Mac 'n Cheese Grilled Cheese // American Grilled Cheese Kitchen 1 South Park (at 2nd), SoMa; 2400 Harrison Street (at 20th), Mission.
32. Broccoli Raab Pizza // Pizzeria Delfina 3621 18th Street (at Guerrero), Mission; 2406 California (at Fillmore), Pacific Heights.
33. Grilled and Raw Kale Salad* // Fog City 1300 Battery Street (at Greenwich), Embarcadero.
34. Vegetarian Sandwich // Reveille Coffee Co. 200 Columbus (at Kearny), North Beach; 4076 18th Street (at Hartford), Castro.
35. Egg White Sandwich // Jane 2123 Fillmore Street (at California), Pacific Heights.
36. Gorgonzola Gnocchi // Sodini's Green Valley Restaurant 510 Green Street (at Bannam), North Beach. 415.291.0499
37. Wild Mushroom Benedict // Mission Beach Cafe 198 Guerrero Street (at 14th), Mission.
38. I'm Nothing But a Sloppy Vegetarian Whore // Red Door Cafe 1608 Bush Street (at Franklin), TenderNob. 415.441.1564.
39. Truffle Risotto // SPQR 1911 Fillmore Street (at Bush), Lower Pac Heights.
40. Fire Roasted Poblano Chile* // Greens Building A Fort Mason, Marina.
41. Enchiladas con Mole* // Gracias Madre 2211 Mission Street (at18th), Mission.
42. Plato Vegetariano* // Cha Cha Cha 2327 Mission Street (at 19th), Mission; 1801 Haight Street (at Shrader), Haight.
43. Cha-Ya Roll* // Cha-Ya 762 Valencia Street (at 19th), Mission. 415.252.7825.
44. Detox Salad* // Blue Barn 2105 Chestnut Street (at Steiner), Marina; 2237 Polk Street (at Green), Russian Hill.
45. Vegetarian Bastela du Chef // El Mansour 3119 Clement Street (at 32nd), Outer Richmond.
46. Garlic Green Beans and Tofu* // Citrus Club 1790 Haight (at Shrader), Haight.
47. Lentil Soup* // Baladie Cafe 337 Kearny Street (at Pine), FiDi.
48. Mattar Paneer // Saffron Grill 1279 Fulton Street (at Divisadero), Alamo Square.
49. Gazpacho* // Zarzuela 2000 Hyde Street (at Union), Russian Hill // 415.346.0800.
50. Chickpea Panisse Cakes // Gaspar Brasserie 185 Sutter (at Kearny), FiDi.
* = vegan, or vegan option available.
Please also note that fried dishes may be prepared in the same oil as meat dishes. Ask your server for details if you're concerned about cross-contamination.